I know its only Tuesday and there is a ways to go before this epic game kicks off but it seems a lot of you will be leaving early for Athens this week. So, lets go ahead and get those predictions thrown out there. I have been thinking long and hard about this game since Saturday and i feel i have a good grasp on what might transpire in Athens. This might be a little winded, but my name is Bammer....
**cracks his knuckles**
I'll start off by saying that UGA should beat us by 14. They are the #3 team in the country, they are more experienced, they have a better QB and they have home field advantage. But like I said, they should. I should have a 12 inch.....sub from Publix right now, I should be a millionair and damnt I should be going to this game but the should doesn't me shit! This is the SEC and as we have seen many times before, anything can happen. The guys over at Alligator Army seem to think we, and i quote, "Are going to get our asses kicked". Im not so sure about that. The thing is I can't come to a final score prediction. I definetly don't see us getting trounced. These two teams are way to similiar to put a number on the final score. So what's my prediction? Well, i don't have one but i do have some "keys" that might help tell what might happen.
1. UGA O-line vs Alabama's front 7: Biggest match-up of the night. If Alabama is unable to stop the run with the front 7 and can't get pressure on Stafford with the front 4, Bobbo's offense will pick us apart. Not because we are terrible in the defensive back field, its just that Stafford and his recieving core are that good. What we do have is the beast Terrance Cody to plug the middle and as stated in another thread, he will be facing a freshman at center for UGA. Our d-line is the strength of our defense and UGA's oline is their weakest link. They say it starts in the trenches and those words have never been more true.
2. UGA's D-line vs Alabama's O-line: Another battle up front and another key point to this game. IMO Bama's o-line is as good as any in the country. We have experience, amazing talent and most importantly depth.We have shown the ability to move guys around and have them play different positions but still be productive. UGA's d-line isn't exactly something that has me worried but they have shown the ability to put pressure on the QB. Something that our O-line has struggled to prevent.We must open holes for the running backs and give JPW time to make the right read. If we don't. Watch out!
3. Stafford vs Wilson: No brainer here. JPW is a solid QB but he is no Stafford. This kid can make all the throws and has a rocket for an arm. He will be a future top 5 NFL pick, Wilson won't be.
4. Special Teams: This one is tough to pick. Javy give's Bama the edge in return man but our kick coverage has been suspect. If UGA's smart, Javy will never get a chance to touch the ball. If Bama's smart, we learn how to stay in our lanes in kick coverage and not over pursue. I could see this game coming down to a field goal or field position. So in many ways, a lot like last year.
5. Running Game: Glenn Coffee, Roy Upchruch, Mark Ingram and Terry Grant are all fine backs and to be honest Ingram is going to be a freakin beast but not one of them can compare to Knowshon Moreno. He's a Reggie Bush type back and if you give him a inch, he'll take 100 yards. We might have the better o-line but that kid is the X-factor in this game. If we don't contaiin him its going to be a long night.
Its almost too early to predict a score. My heart says Alabama but my head says UGA. This the biggest game an Alabama has faced in years and could possibly be the catalyst to an amazing year. It could also end in weeping and nashing of teeth. Im going with Alabama in this one because of our defensive and offensive lines. Football is won in the trenches and we cleary have the advantage here. No score prediction but i do think we win. How about you?