I'm opening this one up for debate. Here's what I have seen so far:
- Our coverage/tackling on kick-offs and punts has been good
- Maze has done a good job and had a spectacular run back against the hogs
- Our kickoffs appear to land around the 10 yard line MOST of the time (saw one received at the 20 on Saturday)
- Seems like we have about a 40-50% chance at best of hitting a field goal of 45+ yards.
- Our distance on punts seems to be lacking - STILL
IMO any successful national championship run requires the following:
- Favorable schedule with most of your tough games at home - check
- Strong defense - so far, check
- Good injury luck - 1 SEC game in and Mosely is injured (day-to-day?) - TBD
- Good luck - So far the big plays have swung in our favor - TBD
- Close games won by special teams - HIGHLY doubtful if we need that last minute field goal outside of 40 yards
Am I alone in worrying about this or are there others out there? Seems like we're missing on the good kicking recruits despite actively seeking them for schollies.