Below are listed my top five reasons we really need to beat LSU. If you have some other reasons I'd love to hear them.
1. It is for the National Championship. When they started awarding the National Championship after the bowls, in the 1965 season, suddenly you had a game at the end of the year when you were actually playing for the title. Since 1965, a span of 46 years we have had a bowl game where we played for the a NC 8 times before this year. In the early years we lost the thing 3 times in 71, 73, and 74 (although we won a piece in 73 and won it in 65.) But the last 4 times, 78, 79, 92, and 09, when we had our shot, we have won that game. It is very important we win and keep this legacy of winning the biggest game on the biggest stage going.
2. 13, 13, 13. I'm proud to claim 13 titles, but we need to get off that number. If we lose going for 14 a few times we are going to start feeling jinxed by 13. 14 is a much, much, better number than 13. Lets get off 13 now.
3. You never know when you will have your next shot. I'll never forget in 92 I thought we were a year ahead of schedule and felt like if we lost in 92 we would win it all in 93. Boy was I wrong. I'm so glad we won in 92 when we had our shot. I think we will have a lot of shots in the next 10 years...but you never know. We need to win this thing now just in case we don't return for a few years.
4. We owe LSU. The last two meetings with LSU have been sad, very sad. We out play them and then lose in some crazy play like the now infamous goal line int. It is very important we reestablish ourselves as the better team. If we lose our 3rd game in a row to these guys and then go to BR next year...well we could be starting a bad trend. To be the dominant team in the SEC you need to beat everyone more than they beat you. It is simnple. We need to right the ship against these guys now.
5. LSU plays dirty. There is no way else to put this other than to say that in game 1 LSU had some dirty hits. The Honeybadger was the worst, but there were a lot of cheap shots. When I see some of the stuff I saw in game 1, even though some of it was called, I think the only answer is to beat them. If they take cheap shots, and win, they can justify what they did. If they lose well it sends them a message. I know Bama is not perfect, but I honestly do not think we train or try to hit players in a way that is illegal or intended to harm. I have no idea who America is for in this game but I think people who pull for the team that does it the right way will be pulling for Bama.
Well, I could go on, but these are the main reasons that I feel we absolutley need to win this game.