Some of y'all may or may not know this (and if you don't you're either new or haven't been paying attention) but I have been on a bit of a health kick for the past 4-5 years. So, two things you must know..
#1 - Carbs are evil and are subsequently responsible for every terrible thing that has ever happened
#2- I hate oatmeal, seriously.
Don't believe me? Well, before the 2011 season, I sacrificed my health to the football gods to secure a 'Bama natty title and they rewarded us handsomely...YOU'RE WELCOME
In general, my mission in life is to rid the world of oatmeal but also teach healthy eating habits.
- Stop believing the lie that fat is bad for you. Eating healthy fats is good; eating processed carbs is bad.
- Organic veggies and protein > Processed crap.
- Carbs should only make up about < 15-20% of your daily calories, Protein 35-40% and Healthy Fat 45-50%
- For something to taste good, it doesn't HAVE to be deep fried and does not necessarily HAVE to be swimming in BBQ sauce. I know, shocker, right?
Avocado & Bacon Sammies
Before you laugh and say, "Bacon isn't healthy!", see my comment about fat and processed crap above. Also, AppleGate makes an amazing organic bacon that is a staple in my kitchen. Additionally, Avocado is a considered a healthy fat and is an amazing source of nutrients.
- AppleGate organic bacon (or any other organic bacon). If you can't find organic bacon, regular bacon works just do your own research on the healthiest, least processed brand in your area.
- 4-6 Avocado's (You may need less or more depending on the amount of servings you need)
- Juice from one lime (may need more depending on serving size)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1-2 bags of Romaine Hearts
1. Cook bacon as flat as possible. There are many ways to do this but using a heavy skillet or a bacon press is the best option. Set aside on paper towel to cool, making sure to keep bacon as straight as possible.
2. While the bacon is cooking, de-pit avocados (click link for a how-to) and place avocado in a bowl. Add juice from lime and salt and pepper to taste, mix well.
3. Peel off strips of romaine hearts, rinse and set aside.
There's a couple of different ways to go about this-
1. Take 4 strips of bacon (2 for top, 2 for bottom), spread guacamole over the 2 bottom pieces of bacon and top with remaining 2 pieces of bacon. This can be a bit messy to eat, so you can use the romaine hearts as a wrap.
2. Take just 2 pieces of bacon (1 for top, 1 for bottom), repeat steps above and then use romaine hearts either as a wrap or a "taco".
3. Cut bacon strips into 2 inch pieces and make "mini" bite size sammies. (see picture above)
Either way you go, you have BACON and delicious avocado. I mean, how can you go wrong? Additional toppings could be:
- Homemade pico de gallo
- Grilled chicken
- Sweet Peppers