- We've found the next challenge for Notre Dame football player Tom Zbikowski's boxing career:
Yes, you read that correctly. Chessboxing (HT: A Letter Never Sent) is a new sport featuring alternating rounds of playing chess and boxing. Here are the rules:Two competitors face each other in 11 alternating rounds, six of chess, five of boxing. A bout begins with chess, which is played on a board placed directly in the middle of the ring. Each round of chess lasts four minutes. After each chess round, the bell sounds, and workmen remove the chessboard for a two-minute round of boxing, the gloves go back on, the punching recommences. Participants win by way of knockout, checkmate, referee's decision, or if his opponent exceeds the allotted total of 12 minutes for an entire match on the chessboard.
If they can't settle things with their minds, they'll settle them with their fists
- The opening weekend of the ULTIMATE FOOTBALL PROJECT will take me to Starkville, Tuscaloosa and Oxford.
- Juwan Simpson pleaded guilty yesterday to marijuana possession. The terms of his suspended sentence can be found here.
- Ivan Meisel is doing a neat little feature on the greatest college football players to wear each jersey number called The All-Time Numbers Team. Three Alabama players have made the list so far (they've only published 1-60) and I imagine perhaps one or two more could show up on the list. (HT: BON)
- Don't forget to send in your questions for Anthony Madison.
- Lastly, in addition to loving the Crimson Tide, I'm also a music junkie. I've started a new feature over in the diaries where I'm going to pick a music video each week to post. Hopefully people will be up for talking about tunes a little bit too (especially in the offseason.) This week's pick is "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley.
I've got a busy day ahead of me, so there (probably) won't be any more posting until later th is evening.