1. Ohio State: Yeah, yeah, they haven't played anyone and they've scraped by on defense alone. Sound familiar?
2. Boston College: Will get a chance to prove they belong here on Thursday against Va. Tech. Something tells me they'll fail.
3. Oklahoma: They scraped by again, but there is no way I'm jumping LSU over them after that boneheaded decision to throw at the end of the game. And yes, I know it worked, but holy crap. Could you imagine the calls for Miles's head if it hadn't?
4. Arizona State: I'm jumping them ahead of LSU as well. Damn, that was stupid.
5. LSU: They get worse and worse each week, and the staff (read Les Miles) is going to screw up and give a game away. Hopefully in two weeks.
|In the meantime, please enjoy this clip of what's going on in Les Miles's brain when making crucial decision.|
6. Oregon: Stays put at six for now.
7. West Virginia: Move up from #10 by virtue of others moving down after a win over Mississippi State.
8. Kansas: Ditto, but up from #11 after a win over Colorado.
9. Virginia Tech: Ditto, but up from #13 after a bye week.
10. Florida: Up from #18 after a good win over a good Kentucky team.
11. Missouri: Up from #16 after beating the snot out of the Red Raiders.
12. Hawaii: They stay put after a bye week.
13. Kentucky: Down from number #7 after a close loss to a good Florida team.
14. Texas: They continue to struggle some, but they move up a spot after a win over Baylor.
15. Southern Cal: Beating up on Notre Dame proves nothing, but they get the bump up from #19 just the same.
16. South Carolina: Down from #8 after losing to Vandy. Should probably fall more, but I want to reserve my biggest punishment for...
17. South Florida: ...who attained the lofty heights of a #2 ranking (#4 on my ballot) and then pooped it away against an unranked Rutgers team. I hate you, South Florida, and revel in your misery.
18. Virginia: Had to pull some late game heroics against Maryland, but their win streak extends to seven, so a jump from #21 it is.
19. Alabama: The Tide returns to the rankings after a thoroughly dominating performance against Tennessee. Even though I had the Vols as low as #25 in my rankings last week, I'm a homer, and that makes the Tide's entry at #19 perfectly reasonable.
|DJ Hall and John Parker Wilson deserve every ounce of praise they get for this game, but my hat is off to Mr. Kareem Jackson. Huzzah for the true freshman! Huzzah!|
20. Rutgers: The Scarlet Knights re-enter the rankings as well, but since I'm not a Rutgers homer I won't give them the same credit for knocking off the #4 (at least on my ballot) team in the country as I did the Tide. So, you know, suck it Jersey.
21. Wake Forest: Up from #24 after a good win over a good Navy team.
22. Penn State: Up from #23 after an unimpressive win over Indiana and others fall out.
23. Cal: Down from #14. I'm tempted to drop them altogether, though, but with others faltering they remain in for now.
24. Auburn: Down from #22, but LSU is a good team and they really dominated in that game.
25. Georgia: After a bye week I'm putting the Dawgs back in, if only to keep from ranking Michigan, who I swore wouldn't see my ballot again unless they win the Big Ten and the Rose Bowl. Then and only then will they get another nod.
Dropped Out: Texas Tech (#17), Cincinatti (#20), Tennesse (#25)