The sixth in a series leading up to fall camps takes us to the home of the
1980 NATIONAL CHAMPS!
UGA Dawgs 8-5 (5-3) in 2013
There is no lack of storylines in Athens this season:
- After four years on the bench, redshirt senior QB Hutson Mason takes over for 4-year starter Aaron Murray. His stats were decent enough (67-110, 968 yds, 5 TD, 3 INT) in 2013 but this team definitely lost some mojo without Murray.
- Injuries slowed RB Todd Gurley in 2013. The rising junior will be leaned on heavily in 2014 to carry the team.
- UGA fans are all agog over the man who coached "three straight" National Champs. Unrealistic expectations are through the roof for new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt. I just hope the fan base is patient. As if.
- The kicking game must be in good shape as coach Mark Richt booted yet another player through the uprights this week. Add that to three DBs who have transferred out (see below) and there is a serious depth problem at UGA.
RB Todd Gurley, RB Keith Marshall, WR Michael Bennett, WR Chris Conley, C David Andrews, DE Ray Drew, LB Ramik Wilson, OLB Jordan Jenkins, OLB Leonard Floyd, CB Damian Swann.
QB Aaron Murray (Round 5, Chiefs), TE Arthur Lynch (Round 5, Dolphins), LT Kenarious Gates (UFA, Bucs), DE Garrison Smith (UFA, Dolphins), OG Chris Burnette (UFA, Bucs), S Josh Harvey-Clemons (dismissed, transferred to Louisville), S Tray Matthews (dismissed, transferred to Auburn), CB Shaq Wiggins (transferred to Louisville), DL Jonathan Taylor (double-dipped checks, choked his girlfriend, sitting in jail, dismissed).
DE Lorenzo Carter, RB Sony Michel, RB Nick Chubb, CB Malkom Parrish, OG Isaiah Wynn, QB Jacob Park, TE Jeb Blazevich.
Aug 30 vs Clemson - W - The Tigers lost a lot of firepower to the NFL.
Sept 13 @ South Carolina - L - Unless Florida bounces back, this game could decide the SEC East.
Sept 20 vs Troy - W
Sept 27 vs Tennessee - W - Expect the Vols to put a scare into UGA.
Oct 4 vs Vanderbilt - W
Oct 11 @ Missouri - W - This could be an upset alert but as long as Gurley is healthy, they should win this game.
Oct 18 @ Arkansas - W
Nov 1 vs Florida - W - This is a toss up but I am not sure what Florida will be at this point
Nov 8 @ Kentucky - W
Nov 15 vs Auburn - L - I don't think UGA's D can stop this O.
Nov 22 vs Charleston Southern - W
Nov 29 vs Georgia Tech - W
Let's Go Bowling? Yes, indeed. Them Dawgs have a chance at going to Atlanta in early December but it's more likely to be Orlando in early January instead.
Although the wild blind predictions above call for 10 Bulldawgs wins, they could easily trip up against many of these SEC opponents and/or Clemson.
- South Carolina - warning: this poll was invaded by Gamecocks fan.
- MSU Clanga-Clangs
- Arkansas Razorbacks
- Tennessee Volunteers
- Ole Miss Rebel Ackbar Black Bears