This is a Golden Eagle team coming off an 1-11 season, a 0-49 loss to Mississippi State, and a 20-26 win over Alcorn State last week.
Write this down: Southern Miss is not a good football team.
You'll likely see a heavy dose of Jake Coker, the second string offense and defense, along with a few 3rd/4th strings and walk-ons. Consider this game the final tune up before the SEC schedule hits full gear next week.
Things to look for:
- Eddie Jackson: In only his second game of the season, how does the knee look? Will he get more snaps? How's his tackling form?
- Right Guard: Will we finally see either Leon Brown or Alphonse Taylor secure the RG starting spot the week before Florida?
- Jake Coker: Will he improve from the FAU game and will it be enough to prove to the staff he can take on the starting job if called upon (one day)?
- Package plays for Sims: Tons of speculation going around on whether or not we'll see some package plays for Sims (see Pop-Pass) that could utilize his strength as a runner. Will we see any against Southern Miss or will we have to wait another week?
- Tight-ends: Will either of our starting TE's catch a pass?