This is becoming a bit of a trend, no?
Former Broyles Award winner and Alabama DC Kirby Smart has again been named a finalist for the award given to the most outstanding assistant. Last season, Lane Kiffin was nominated but fell short to
Arkansas DC Robb Smith. some jackass from Ohio State #sarcasmfont.
Alabama defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Kirby Smart was named one of five finalists for the 2015 Broyles Award, which is presented annually to the nation's top assistant coach. Smart is joined by Baylor's Kendal Briles (OC), Clemson's Brent Venables (DC/LB), North Carolina's Gene Chizik (DC) and Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley (OC/QB) on the list of five finalists.
This year, Kirby may come up just short, given the miracles some of the finalists have sprung, including North Carolina defensive coordinator Gene Chizik and Lincoln Riley at OU.
Still, Smart's defense has been unreal this season. Here are the measurables:
- 2nd in offensive touchdowns allowed
- T-1st in total touchdowns allowed
- 2nd in yards per game allowed
- 2nd in total yards allowed
- 2nd in yards per play
- 3rd in sacks
- 5th in pass efficiency defense
- 3rd in scoring defense
- 1st in total rushing defense
- 1st in rushing yards per game allowed
- 1st in rushing TDs allowed
- 17th in interceptions generated
- 6th in defensive TDs
All stats are raw data compiled from CFBstats.com and NCAA.org.
Roll Tide, Coach Smart.