Tuesday begins the first day of the 2015 Scouting Combines for the NFL Draft. Eleven former Alabama players are included among 300-plus players invited to show off their abilities to the 32 NFL teams.
- Amari Cooper – Being a likely top 10 pick and possibly as high as #4 to the Raiders, it may not be necessary for him to participate in too many events.
- Landon Collins – As the top safety, Collins too is expected to be a high first rounder. It is doubtful that he lasts past #20 (Eagles).
- Arie Kouandjio – Arie had a excellent senior season and could go in the second round. I am sure he has a good workout partner.
- T.J. Yeldon – T.J. needs to prove he is healthy and stand out among a deep collection of running backs in this year's draft. He should be a second-rounder.
- Austin Shepherd – Could go as high as the fifth round.
- Trey DePriest - Not a deep year for LBs, Trey should hear his name called on Day 3, possibly as high as round 4 but more likely 5-6.
- Xzavier Dickson – Same here but more likely somewhere within rounds 5-7.
- Jalston Fowler – Fullback is not a coveted position. Nudie could possibly go as high as the fifth round but should definitely hear his name called on Day 3.
- Blake Sims – He wants to give it a go as a QB but is open to other positions. His athleticism should get him a look much like former college QB Julian Edelman. Third day pick, possibly round 6.
- DeAndrew White & Christion Jones – To be honest, I am not sure why these two got invites. They will get free agent looks but it'll be a tough row to hoe.
Tuesday through Thursdays are off-field events. This includes: meetings, interviews, measurements, medical examinations, psychological testing, bench press, vertical jump, and broad jump. Friday through Monday each group will take their turn at on-field workouts such as the 40-yard dash, the three cone drill, the 20-yard shuttle, and the 60-yard shuttle.
Schedule of on-field workouts by position:
Friday, Feb. 20: Specialists, offensive linemen, tight ends (Arie Kouandjio, Austin Shepherd)
Saturday, Feb. 21: Quarterbacks, running backs wide receivers (Amari Cooper, T.J. Yeldon, Jalston Fowler, Blake Sims, DeAndrew White, Christion Jones)
Sunday: Feb. 22: Defensive linemen, linebackers (Trey DePriest, Xzavier Dickson)
Monday, Feb. 23: Defensive backs (Landon Collins)
*Most of these events will be shown on the NFL Network starting Friday at 9am ET / 10am CT.
Below are a select few other schools and their list of invitees:
- Auburn (7) - RB Cameron Artis-Payne, DT Angelo Blackson, WR Sammie Coates, C , ATH Nick Marshall, FS Jermaine Whitehead, DT Gabe Wright.
- LSU (6) - OLB Kwon Alexander, CB Jalen Collins, OT La'el Collins, RB Kenny Hilliard, DE Danielle Hunter, RB Terrence Magee.
- Mississippi State (4) - FS Justin Cox, ILB Benardrick McKinney, RB Josh Robinson, DE Preston Smith.
- Ole Miss (2) – CB Senquez Golson, FS Cody Prewitt.
- Tennessee (2*) - CB Justin Coleman, LB pending)
- FSU (12) - CB Ronald Darby, DT Mario Edwards, C , DT Eddie Goldman, WR Rashad Greene, OG Bobby Hart, OG Tre' Jackson, OG Josue Matias, TE Nick O'Leary, RB Karlos Williams, CB , QB Jameis Winston.
- Louisville (11) - RB Dominique Brown, OT Jamon Brown, TE Gerald Christian, OLB , RB Michael Dyer, CB Charles Gaines, FS Gerod Holliman, OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, OG John Miller, WR DeVante Parker, SS James Sample.
- Notre Dame (3) - K , WR Davaris Daniels, TE Ben Koyack.
- Ohio State (4) - DT Michael Bennett, CB Doran Grant, TE Jeff Heuerman, WR Devin Smith.
- Oregon (7) - DT Arik Armstead, CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, OT Jake Fisher, C , CB Troy Hill, QB Marcus Mariota, .
2015 NFL Draft Schedule:
Thursday, April 30: Round 1
Friday, May 1: Rounds 2-3
Saturday, May 2: Rounds 4-7
- Blake Sims had the third best 40 time for QBs (4.57) behind Heisman winner Marcus Mariota (4.52) and Auburn's Nick Marshall (4.54) who intends to play DB.
- T.J. Yeldon ran a 4.61 in the 40 to put him in the middle of the pack for RBs. He had 22 bench press reps.
- Jalston Fowler ran a 4.94 but redeemed himself with 23 bench press reps.
- Austin Shepherd was unremarkable in his workouts while Arie Kouandjio chose not to participate in many events.
- Xzavier Dickson 40 time was 4.74 which was close to the median for LBs. He was near the bottom in almost every other event. It was not a good day for Dickson.
- Trey DePriest did not work out due to postseason surgery on a torn meniscus. He will need to get healthy by Alabama Pro Day if he wants to keep up his draft stock. Last year Bama held two Pro Days, one in March and one in April.
- Landon Collins first 40 time is unofficially 4.53.
- Amari Cooper ran a 4.42, DeAndrew White 4.44, and Christion Jones 4.63. Despite these posted results, Cooper's time may have been off. In the below simulcast video of Cooper, WVU's Kevin White, and Louisville's DeVante Parker, it appears that Cooper edges out White who clocked in at 4.35. Ignore the announcers as they had it wrong. Parker is in back while Cooper and White (long hair) are neck and neck.