The casual college football fan might think that things slow down during the lazy hazy days of summer. But we know better. If your head coach is a Nick Saban, there is always work to be done and June is a time for summer football camps.
The Crimson Tide will host three individual camps along with two one-day sessions for kickers and linemen respectively. There will be no roasting of S'mores around a campfire singing Kumbaya. No Bill Murray, no Alyson Hannigan, and no Jim Harbaugh. This is serious business.
The Nick Saban Football Camps are "non-contact, skills-teaching". These camps are a good way to evaluate players, coach them up, and develop relationships with the players and their parents as well as their coaches.
The High School Session I began this past weekend and continues through to Wednesday, June 3. It is open to ninth grade through rising sophomore in junior college. High School Session II runs July 13-16. Many campers stay overnight but some commute in.
Up this weekend are one-day camps exclusively for kickers and offensive & defensive linemen both held on June 6. These camps are also open to ninth grade through rising sophomore in junior college.
The Youth Camp, for ages 8-14, is scheduled for June 7-10.
The Nick Saban Crimson Tide Football Camp is a non-contact, skills-teaching camp that is designed to give each athlete a solid foundation in the football fundamentals needed to excel at his position.
Led by Coach Saban and his staff, each player will receive hands-on instruction as he participates in drills and practices just like the Crimson Tide football team. Each camper will receive the same expert coaching that every Alabama football player receives...
A FEW CAMPING THIS WEEKEND
- Lyndell "Mack" Wilson, Montgomery, AL (Carver) OLB 6-2/220 5-stars - 247's #8 player overall; same high school that produced Shaun Dion Hamilton.
- Ben Davis, Gordo, AL (Gordo Sch) OLB 6-4/230 5-stars - Top 20 nationally; MVP honors at Rivals Camp Series Atlanta; compared to Dont'a Hightower.
- Shawn Jennings, Dadeville, AL (Dadeville) DB 6-2/205 3-stars - 93 total tackles, four interceptions, six pass deflections and a fumble recovery in 2014; younger brother of 2015 signee Anfernee Jennings.
- Elijah Holyfield, Atlanta, GA (Woodward Acad) RB 5-11/205 4-stars - Son of Evander; 25 rushing TDs, 6.6 yards per carry in 2014.
- Marlon Character, Atlanta, GA (Grady) S 6-0/170 4-stars - South Carlina lean.
- Kobe Jones, Starkville, MS (Starkville) DT 6-4/ 265 3-stars - MSU and Bama.
- Jaquelle Green, Biloxi, MS (D'Iberville) S 6-0/ 205 3-stars - OM, MSU, LSU, and Bama.
- Nigel Knott, Madison, MS (Germantown) CB 5-11/175 4-stars - top rated player in Mississippi.
- Jaden Hunter, Atlanta, GA (Westlake) OLB 6-3/207 4-stars (Class of 2017) - Bama lean.
- William Poole III, Atlanta, GA (Hapeville Charter) CB 6-0/170 4-stars (Class of 2017) - UGA & Bama.
- Malcolm Askew, McCalla, AL (McAdory) ATH 6-0/175 4-stars (Class of 2017) - Bama lean.
CLASS OF 2015
Have you ever heard the phrase "no news is good news?" Summer classes began at the Capstone on May 26. We must assume the vast silence tells us that everyone from the incoming class has qualified and safely landed in T-Town.
CLASS OF 2016
Currently, the Tide has nine players committed to the 2016 class. Here are updates on these players:
- Shyheim Carter, Kentwood (Kentwood, LA) CB 6-0/190 - Won the 100-Meter Dash in the 1A LHSAA State Championships with a time of 10.91 seconds.
- Jonah Williams, Folsom (Folsom, CA) OT 6-5/272 - Recently bumped to 5-stars by Rivals.
- Kendell Jones, Shoemaker (Killeen, TX) DT 6-4.5/361 - Nicknamed "Hulk". Rivals National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell: "as a potential freakish zero technique he could be one of those physical standouts that ends up being a long-time NFL guy."
- Chris Owens, Lamar (Arlington, TX) OG 6-3/312 - Named Top Offensive Lineman at the Rivals Camp Series Dallas.
- Deonte Brown, Austin (Decatur, AL) OG 6-3/350 - Recorded double-digit pancakes in just over two quarters of action during his school's spring game vs. Harvest HS.
- Raekwon Davis, Meridian (Meridian, MS) DT 6-7/315 - Invited to The Opening after killing it at Nike Football's Opening Regional in New Orleans.
- , Clay-Chalkville (Pinson, AL) WR 6-2/180 - Had over 100 yards receving in the first two quarters of a rainy spring game against Bessemer City HS.
- , Amite (Amite, LA) S 6-3/190 - Can play either corner or safety; close friend of Shyheim Carter.
- Brendan Scales, Lafayette (Ballwin, MO) TE 6-4/230 - Currently camping in Tuscaloosa.
CLASS OF 2017
Alabama received two commitments on Monday evening:
- Netori Johnson, Ellenwood, GA (Cedar Grove) OG 6-5/330 4-stars - This dude is built like a tank. He accepted Saban's offer immediately after receiving it. 247 ranks him #5 at his position.
- D.D. Bowie, Morton, MS (Morton) WR 6-1/170 4-stars - The #10 receiver in the nation for 2017 has offers from practically every SEC team; Over 1,500 yards of offense as a sophomore.
These two are the second and third commits to the '17 class to go with 5-star RB Najee Harris of Antioch, CA.
UPDATE: Bama picks up their third 2017 commit of the week in OT Alex Leatherwood (6-5/295) from Washington HS in Pensacola, FL. He has no ranking as of yet but I think we are going to have to trust Mario Cristobal on this one. He had an offer from Florida and had interest from FSU.
For more details, read about them on our Recruiting page.