The Crimson Tide will hold an open practice followed by Fan Day on Sunday, August 9 at Bryant Denny Stadium. This will be the public's first chance to get a look at the 2015 Alabama football team. The practice will take place from 2:30-4:30 p.m. followed by an autograph session with players and coaches immediately after the practice on the field at approximately 4:45 p.m. The stadium opens at 1:30 p.m. through gates 12 & 16. There will be concessions sold. Parking will be available in the West ten Hoor area of campus.
While you are enjoying the return of Alabama football, here are 8 things to keep an eye out for:
- Replacing Amari: Impossible, right? Well some folks think that incoming freshman Calvin Ridley may be the cure. We haven't seen him in uniform yet but I think you'll be able to figure out which one is him.
- Working the corners: We are most likely to see Cyrus Jones and Tony Brown manning the cornerback positions. However, keep an eye out for Bama's favorite son, Marlon Humphrey, and incoming 5-star freshmen Minkah Fitzpatrick and Kendall Sheffield.
- QB Controversy? Nah. I have to believe Jake Coker gets the nod. But watch for the hard-charging youngsters David Cornwell and Blake Barnett.
- Behind Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake: This will be our first chance to scout 5-star Damien Harris. It will also be interesting to see if Ronnie Clark remains on the offensive side. What about the newest back, Xavian Marks? [Bo Scarbrough has been suspended for the first four games of the season for what Nick Saban described as an NCAA issue related to amateurism.]
- Richard Mullaney: The former Oregon State graduate transfer should provide instant help at wide receiver. Read more about him here.
- Christian Miller: This redshirt freshman LB is my candidate for sleeper of the year. He looked very good during A-Day (2 solo sacks) providing pass rush off the end. He won't be an every down player but I expect some big game-changing plays from him in the near future.
- Tight End Opposite O.J. Howard: For those of you who want to see the Tide just run the damn ball, you may get your wish. Expect to see a lot of two tight end sets. We know O.J. will be one of them but keep your eyes peeled for the other side of the line. My money is on Dakota Ball.
- Running of the Gumps: It is our shameful pride. They are the greatest and most loyal fanbase in the world, yet they include grown men with beer bellies sprinting past little kids to get autographs from other kids. They may be Gumps, but they are OUR Gumps!