Wednesday Dec. 16 was mid-year juco national signing day. As expected, the top-rated juco player Charles Baldwin (6'5"/305) signed his letter of intent (LOI) with the Crimson Tide. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops paid him a late visit and tried to coax a campus visit out of the offensive tackle, but Baldwin politely declined. Originally from Connecticut, he played this past season at ASA College in Brooklyn, NY. The rising junior will be battling for the open right tackle job in the spring. Credit Super Mario Cristobal for this recruiting coup.
In Alabama Football Recruiting Update, Part I, we covered the young men who are already committed to Bama. Most of them appear to be solid commitments for now. Today we will attempt to discuss the undecided players from the great state of Alabama.
The top two players in the Yellowhammer State are both rated five stars, both linebackers, and both have a chance at early playing time at the Capstone.
#1 Ben Davis is an inside linebacker from nearby Gordo, AL. He is a top 15 overall prospect and the #1 ILB in the nation. At 6'4"/237, he has the ideal frame to play Mike but is skilled enough to play any linebacker position. It looks like a battle between Alabama and Georgia, but the guy that was recruiting him to the Bulldogs is now the Crimson Tide's defensive coordinator. However, Kirby Smart was recruiting him for Bama. Oh, by the way, he is the son of Alabama's all-time leading tackler, Wayne Davis, who played for Alabama from 1983-1986 and finished with 327 tackles. He will make an official visit to T-town on January 29 and likely announce on NSD. Prediction: BAMA.
#2 Lyndell "Mack" Wilson, an outside linebacker from Montgomery, AL (Carver), is also a top 15 player and is tops at his position. He stands at 6'2"/230 and has reportedly run a 4.58 in the 40. Wilson is looking at Florida and Georgia but Bama looks like the favorite. Smart has a long recruiting relationship with him but it may be the Alabama program that he likes more. He will take official visits UGA (Jan. 15), Bama (Jan. 22), and Florida (Jan. 29). His announcement will probably come on NSD as well. Prediction: BAMA.
#3 Marlon Davidson DE Greenville, AL 5 stars - Auburn commit. Nick Saban and Bo Davis paid him a visit on Dec. 13, so it's not over yet. Prediction: He sticks with Auburn unless something major happens on the Plains.
#4 Deonte Brown OG Austin (Decatur, AL) 6'3"/340 - This dude is BIG! But he is also very agile with power and explosiveness. The 4 star and top 8 guard committed to the Tide back in April. Prediction: He looks like a solid commit to the Tide.
#5 Quinnen Williams DT Wenonah Sch (Birmingham, AL) 6'4"/265 - After originally committing to Auburn almost a year ago, Williams had a change of heart after camping at Alabama in late spring. His decommitment from the Tigers in June, followed by a pledge to the Crimson Tide a few weeks later. This 4 star has been turning heads and rising in the rankings as of late especially with his performances in the AL/MS All-Star Game and practices. Prediction: Rock solid to BAMA.
6. Malik Miller ATH Madison, AL/Madison Academy 4 stars 5'11" 217 - Committed to Auburn.
7. Jamal Couch LB Phenix City, AL/Central 4 stars 6'4" 215 - undecided.
8. Jeremiah Moon LB Hoover, AL/Hoover 3 stars 6'4" 210 - Committed to Florida.
9. Erroll Thompson LB Florence, AL/Florence 3 stars 6'2" 255 - Committed to Mississippi St.
10. P.J. Blue LB Montgomery, AL/Park Crossing 3 stars 6'4" 201 - Committed to Louisville.
11. John Broussard DB Phenix City, AL/Central 3 stars 5'11" 164 - Committed to Auburn.
12. Jeawon Taylor DB Montgomery, AL/Park Crossing 3 stars 6'2" 192 - Committed to Florida.
13. Denzel Mitchell RB Hamilton, AL/Hamilton 3 stars 5'10" 208 - undecided.
14. Tre Threat LB Spanish Fort, AL/Spanish Fort 4 stars 6'1" 230 - Committed to Auburn.
15. Darius Whitfield DT Mobile, AL/St. Paul's 4 stars 6'1" 268 - Committed to South Carolina.
16. Velus Jones WR Saraland, AL/Saraland 4 stars 6'0" 180 - Soft commit to So Cal; not offered by Bama or Aub.
17. Shawn Jennings DB Dadeville, AL/Dadeville 3 stars 6'2" 217 - Committed to Alabama.
18. Jacorey Morris LB Grove Hill, AL/Clarke County 3 stars 6'3" 220 - Committed to South Carolina.
19. Lamical Perine RB Theodore, AL/Theodore 4 stars 5'11" 211 - Committed to Florida.
20. T.J. Simmons WR Pinson, AL/Clay 4 stars 6'1" 191 - Committed to Alabama.
(Rankings based on average of Scout, Rivals, ESPN, and 247 [not 247 Composite])
Alabama got a wide receiver playmaker they have been seeking when 3/4-star Tyler Simmons made his verbal pledge on Saturday Jan 2. The 5'11"/191 pass-catcher has said to have run a blistering 4.41 in the 40.
He started his career in the backfield before making the move to a wideout. He is a good ball carrier and excels at yards-after-the-catch, so he is a likely candidate to run some jet sweeps at the Capstone. Simmons is a high character guy and nobody outworks him.
In a bit of a surprise, Simmons chose Bama over home state Georgia. I wonder what Saban did to wow him? Maybe it was landing a helicopter on the football field?
Had a great time talking to Coach Saban today. pic.twitter.com/5kygBq4QAL— ty (@tvler_) December 11, 2015
Georgia Tech, Cal, and Texas A&M, were also among the finalists.
He shares a hometown with Kenyan Drake (Powder Springs, GA) but a different high school. The Tide also has a commitment from similarly named wide receiver T.J. Simmons of Pinson, Alabama.
National Signing Day is February 3, 2016.