Wednesday, December 14, 2016 marks the midyear transfer day for junior college football players. These players who are transferring to full four-year schools can sign today. Alabama has two committed juco players who should sign today as early enrollees.
Elliot Baker OL (City College of San Francisco) San Francisco, CA 6'7" 295 - Baker committed to the Crimson Tide back in June and has stood by his pledge. He took an official visit (OV) to Tuscaloosa for Iron Bowl weekend. Since his team unexpectedly missed the playoffs, he took an OV to Texas A&M Nov. 18 and had planned one for Georgia this past weekend. However, an in-home visit by Nick Saban and Tosh Lupoi last Wednesday likely ended that plan. He was never wavering. He likely just wanted to "sight-see".
The hope is that Baker can come in and man one of the tackle spots with rising sophomore Jonah Williams taking the other.
Isaiah Buggs DE (Mississippi Gulf Coast CC) Rushton, LA 6'5" 290 - As you likely read on Tuesday, Buggs committed to Alabama over LSU.
He should see regular time in the defensive rotation in 2017.
247Sports has a Composite rankings of juco players and the names of the top 6 should be quite familiar to Tide fans. All of the following prospects are rated 4-stars by 247.
, McLennan C.C. (Stephenville, TX) QB 6-3/210 - Auburn; Former Baylor QB.
- Isaiah Buggs, Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C. (Ruston, LA) DE 6-5/280 - ALABAMA
, Palomar College (Corona, CA) QB 6-5/211 - Arizona State, Former Bama QB.
- Elliot Baker, City College of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) OT 6-7/295 - ALABAMA
- , Blinn College (Missouri City, TX) CB 6-0/185 - Undecided; Former Bama reserve.
- Gary Johnson, Dodge City C.C. (Birmingham, AL) ILB 6-1/225 - Undecided; Former Bama commit had to decommit due to "academic requirements in the SEC that are different than other conferences."
OTHER JUCO NEWS
- Lane Kiffin wasted no time at FAU! getting a commit from former FSU QB, De'Andre Johnson. You may recall Johnson was dismissed from the Seminoles after punching a girl in the face in a Tallahassee bar.
- Arkansas is turning into TIGHT END U. The top juco tight end, Jeremy Patton, is expected to sign with the Hogs today. The 4-star is rated #14 juco player.
- Dan Mullen is going hog-wild with jucos, with commits from at least six juco players and a possibility of getting more. There is certainly a promise of immediate playing time since Mississippi State has very little depth.
* We will add updates as they roll in.