It was rough on media personnel Friday as coaches from around the state of Alabama gathered at the University of Alabama for Nick Saban's annual "Clinic of Champions" (Coaches clinic). Multiple icons were in attendance, including former NFL general manager Bill Polian, ex-college football coach Steve Spurrier and Super Bowl winning head coach Tony Dungy.
Saban and the Crimson Tide did the practice field at 3:40 p.m. in sunny, 68-degree weather conditions. Alabama's 11th spring session is preparation for its second scrimmage on Saturday.
Notes from Friday's practice
- Defensive lineman Da'Shawn Hand was absent for a second time. He missed Wednesday practice due to back spasms, according to Saban during a press conference.
- Dalvin Tomlinson returned to action Friday after missing Wednesday because of an illness. He and Jonathan Allen (shoulder, limited) led position drills, followed by Da'Ron Payne and Josh Frazier.
- Alabama lined up in its first-team nickel defense, which featured Minkah Fitzpatrick and Marlon Humphrey at both cornerback positions. Eddie Jackson and Ronnie Harrison lined up at the safety spots, while Maurice Smith stood at Star. Da'Ron Payne and Dalvin Tomlinson were the two defensive tackles and Reuben Foster was one of the linebackers.
- The Crimson Tide's first-team offensive line from left to right appeared as follows: Korren Kirven, Lester Cotton, Ross Pierschbacher, Brandon Kennedy and Jonah Williams
- Linebacker Keith Holcombe was with the football team, though Alabama baseball will be at Kentucky for a weekend series.
- Lines for quarterbacks and wide receivers remained the same. Cooper Bateman had a couple of nice throws, including one to Robert Foster.
- Coach Saban and the Crimson Tide will be at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday for its second scrimmage at 1:00 p.m.
Stephen M. Smith is a contributing analyst for SB Nation (Roll Bama Roll). You can follow him on Twitter, via @ESPN_Future.