2017-18 recruiting will be one of the strangest we have seen in several years. First off, prepare yourself for the shocking likelihood of Alabama not having the top class. The big reason for this possibility is that Nick Saban absolutely stacked the 2017 class, signing a class of 28 players that included two blueshirts plus a greyshirt. It is believed that the Crimson Tide may be limited to around 22 signees for this recruiting cycle. The theory goes that Saban foresaw the thinner-than-usual pool of talent for this year and stocked up last February. (But that is just a theory that is going around.)
Another factor that will make this “crootin” season a little wacky is the new early signing period that will make its inaugural bow this month. This session begins Dec 20 and ends Dec 22. This new venture is good for Early Enrollees (EE) and for those recruits who just want to end the recruiting process and tell Jim Harbaugh to take his sleeping bag and go home, but we are in uncharted waters here and strange things could happen. 18-year-olds have been known to change their minds. There is much uncertainty for how this experiment will unfold but don’t expect too much drama out of Tuscaloosa.
Below is a brief rundown of who might sign with Alabama in the early signing period.
UPDATE: We have some more information regarding which players plan on signing early. They are signified by a hashtag #. Of course this is all subject to change.
Judging by the current buzz, Alabama is poised to close strong in its 2018 recruiting class.— Aaron Suttles (@AaronSuttles) December 5, 2017
(Stars are a rough average of 247, Rivals, and ESPN; Scout sadly merged with 247 rendering them inert.)
These six players appear to be firmly committed to the Tide and are scheduled to enroll at the Capstone in January. Expect to see some of them participate in Alabama bowl practice in the coming weeks.
- Jarez Parks DE Sebastian, FL 6’2.75”/253 **** Part of the 2017 recruiting cycle, he agreed to a greyshirt and will count towards the 2018 class. There has not been any news around him, so I assuming he will stick with the Tide. He is a true edge rusher and can wreak some quarterback havoc. #
- NEW COMMIT: Nadab Joseph CB 6’1.5”/180 Miami, FL **** Committed yesterday, Dec 5. The former LSU commit, chose the Crimson Tide over the Bayou Bengals and Georgia, among others. Derrick Ansley and Joe Pannunzio were the primary recruiters. #
- Stephon Wynn DE Anderson, SC 6'5"/285 **** Official Visit (OV) for Arky game; Saban visit on Nov 28. Wynn comes from the IMG Football Factory that fine-tuned Bo Scarbrough and Dylan Moses. He is a talented lineman who can play either the three or five technique. #
- Jordan Davis DE Memphis, TN 6'5"/225 **** OV on Dec 1; He is the longest committed player in this class making his pledge back in Dec 2016. Davis is tall and rangy and will probably need a few appointments with Dr. Cochran to bulk up. #
- Slade Bolden APB West Monroe, LA 5'11" 190 ***½ OV in Sept for Ole Miss game, Unofficial Nov 4 for LSU game. Versatile athlete played QB, RB, WR, KR, DB in high school. He might remind you of a certain pesky Clemson WR that will hopefully be shut down on Jan 1, 2018. #
- Skyler DeLong P Fort Mill, SC 6'3"/180 *** Flipped from Tennessee in June; Saban in home visit Dec 2 just moments after an appearance on ESPN GameDay. The heir apparent to JK Scott is ranked as the #2 punter by Chris Sailer Kicking. #
1000% committed Roll Tide pic.twitter.com/wu0fW2W6Mf— Nadab Joseph (@nadabjoseph) December 6, 2017
The following are committed to the Tide and expected to sign either in December (#) or February and enroll in the summer:
- Xavier Williams WR Hollywood, FL 6'0"/180 **** OV Jan 19; Joe Pannunzio visit Nov. 30; Bama has had some luck with Miami area WRs. #
- Emil Ekiyor OL Indianapolis, IN 6'4"/339 **** Flipped from Michigan Oct 29, Visit from Saban Nov 30. Projected as a center. #
- Cameron Latu DE Salt Lake City, UT 6'5"/235 **** OV this weekend Dec 8. Projects as a Jack linebacker.
- Quay Walker OLB Cordele, GA 6'3"/220 **** Jeremy Pruitt visit Nov 30; excellent athlete with speed.
- Tommy Brown OL Santa Ana, CA 6'7"/315 **** OV Sept 29 ; Brent Key visit Dec 4; Has been rising in the ratings. #
- Jalyn Armour-Davis DB Mobile, AL 6'0"/160 **** Several unofficial visits to T-town; Solid technique; Projects as a cornerback.
- Vernon Jackson ATH Boling, TX 6'3"/236 ***½ OV Jan 19; Big athletic prospect who played quarterback, linebacker, edge rusher in high school.
- NEW COMMIT: Michael Parker TE Huntsville, AL 6’6”/230 *** Committed today Dec 6. His brother is senior Alabama walk-on, Jacob Parker. Michael is only the second in-state commitment for the Tide in the 2018 class
UNCOMMITTED EE’S FOR THE EARLY SIGNING PERIOD
- Matt Corral PRO QB Long Beach, CA 6'2"/185 **** Decommitted from Southern Cal in June, committed to Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeier at Florida back in July; Bama OV Nov 18; Does he fit into Dan Mullen’s plans? Is he on Saban’s radar?
- Bobby Brown DT Arlington, TX 6’4”/282 **** Looked like a TAMU lean but then Kevin Sumlin was fired; Saban paid him a visit on Nov 29 and now he is trending Bama’s way. Can Jimbo Fisher and his yet-to-be assembled staff get him back?
- Trey Dean S Hampton, GA 6’2”/180 **** OV Dec 1; Tennessee commit, possible flip.
UNCOMMITTED JUCOS LEANING ALABAMA
It is unclear when these recruits are graduating but I would assume Saban wants any juco player to be on campus for spring camp.
- NEW COMMIT: Saivion Smith CB Tampa, FL 6'1"/175 **** OV Nov 4; Saban visit Nov 28; Went from Tampa to IMG, signed with LSU, transferred to Mississippi Gulf Coast CC. With all the secondary exiting Alabama in January, he could be a vital piece to the 2018 campaign. Committed today! #1 juco CB #4 juco overall.
- Caleb Tremblay DT Napa, CA (American River C.C.) 6'5" /280 **** Will OV on Dec 15; Tosh Lupoi recruit. Also played basketball and baseball in high school. He had no offers out of high school as a 200 pounder but has put on weight and kept the speed.
- Dominick Wood-Anderson TE San Diego, CA (Arizona Western Coll.) 6'6/225 **** OV back in July; Tosh Lupoi visit Dec 5; former Texas pledge; #1 juco tight end.
ALL YOUR DBs ARE BELONG TO US
Nick Saban paid a visit to soft Miami commit Josh Jobe who is from Miami but is attending Cheshire Academy in Connecticut for his senior year. He is 6'0" 176 lbs ****. He is trending towards Alabama. #
Where do things stand with four-star CB Josh Jobe after his in-home visit with Nick Saban on Tuesday? He shares the latest via @CaneSport https://t.co/571Ie8feas pic.twitter.com/R3pjeXrFDt— Andrew Bone (@AndrewJBone) December 6, 2017
Please respect my decision. #RTR pic.twitter.com/rd47JapURo— (@Saivion_1k) December 6, 2017