This weekend, Atlanta becomes the center of the Football Universe. Brand spanking new Mercedes-Benz Stadium (subsequently renamed The NEW Bryant-Denny East) will host two FBS games, and a Falcons preseason game.
Some of you older fans with long memories (or younger ones who were taught well) may need to use some self-control this weekend as Chick-fil-A has the audacity to celebrate the selective memory of former Georgia Tech crybaby coach Bobby Dodd. Please resist the urge to deface any displays but it is quite acceptable to boo his name during the game.
(All times ET)
Thursday, August 31
Tennessee State at Georgia State 7pm, Georgia State Stadium - I only mention this game because it is being played in the former 1996 Atlanta Olympics Stadium/former Atlanta Braves Stadium. I have to admit, they have performed a pretty cool transformation from a MLB stadium into a football stadium. The cavernous Georgia Dome was no place for a fledgling program in a crowded market.
Jacksonville Jaguars at Atlanta Falcons 7pm, Mercedes-Benz Stadium - see Falcons Julio Jones and Courtney Upshaw in NFL Preseason “action” against Jags Cam Robinson and T.J. Yeldon.
Friday, September 1
Dragon Con Sci-Fi convention will be held at five host hotels: the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, Atlanta Hilton, Sheraton Atlanta, Atlanta Marriott Marquis and the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel and at AmericasMart. It costs money to attend events but there will be plenty of people-watching as everyone gets their cosplay on.
Pep Rallies, Tailgating & Fan Zone and lotsa crazy stuff for kids and BIG kids to do around the Centennial Olympic Park. Wander around CNN and the park area. Be sure to gawk at the weirdos. ABG = Always Be Gawking. They need to know they are weirdos.
Saturday, September 2
Annual Dragon Con Parade beginning at 10am. Watch Klingons, Blorgons, Stormtroopers, Ricks & Mortys, and too many Superheroes to count march down Peachtree Street. If you are lucky, there may be a few hot Harley Quinns or Wonder Women (or is it Womans?). Knowing this crowd, there will be a least one fat hairy guy dressed as WW.
ESPN’s College GameDay 9am-noon with Bama alum Rece Davis hosting and analysis by Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack. Maria Taylor should be milling around somewhere as well. Swing by and let Desmond know what you think of his pick of UGA winning the SEC.
Alabama vs Florida State 8pm ET, Mercedes-Benz Stadium (aka The NEW Bryant-Denny East)
Sunday, September 3
A day of rest. Find a church and thank the good Lord for a marvelous victory over them Seminoles.
Monday, September 4
Still nursing those hangovers?
Tennessee vs Georgia Tech 7pm ET, Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Atlanta Braves vs. Texas Rangers 7:35pm ET, SunTrust Park. The Bravos suuuck but the stadium is pretty nice.
* Check out the Bama In Atlanta Alumni group for other events this weekend.
I recommend buying tickets ahead of time for all these places.
- College Football Hall of Fame - I hear it is pretty cool but the Crimson Tide is criminally underrepresented.
- Georgia Aquarium - FISH!
- World of Coca-Cola - Sody-pop!
- High Museum of Art - It’s a few miles from all the footsballs stuff but a cool building featured in the awesome and underrated movie Manhunter. Now on exhibit: Andy Warhol!
Watering Holes & Feedbags:
- Hudson Grille - With eight Atlanta locations, this sports bar has always been a friend of Bama fans. They have long had an affiliation with the Crimson Tide in Atlanta. 120 Marietta Street, next to the CNN building. Look for the big blue letters reading "PHILIPS ARENA". $$
- Park Bar - a cool little brick and mahogany bar across the street from Centennial Park. A personal fave of mine. 150 Walton Street to the left of a Subway sandwich shop. $$
- Stats - not particularly a favorite of mine but if you like oblivious wait staff who all act like it’s their first day and you are lucky to be in there, then this place is for you. However, they do have cold beer, bazillion TV screens, and close proximity. 300 Marietta St, next to the College Football Hall of Fame. $$
- Der Biergarten - a couple of doors down from Stats. Beers and Brats! Also 300 Marietta St. $$
- Dantana's - an "upscale sports bar". Located inside CNN Center. $$$
- Taco Mac - a longtime Atlanta dive bar that has blossomed into 30 locations across Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Lotsa beers on tap and lotsa TVs. Plus, the General Manager is a Bama fan from Montgomery. Located inside Philips Arena. $$
- CNN Center Food Court - it will be bedlam but cheap eats: Chick-fil-A, Arby's, Taco Bell, Chinese, Moe's & more. $
- Waffle House - Yes, Virginia! There is a Waffle House within walking distance! $
- The Varsity - You will need to drive or Uber here. It will be packed but if you love fast food that is not good for you, don't miss this joint only a stone's throw away from Tech's stadium. Great hangover food! $
- Smith’s Olde Bar - Also a few miles from downtown, this long-time Atlanta watering hole is owned by Alabama grads. Good food and suds, great staff, and live music. If live music is not you thing, fear not. It is seperated on the second floor and you’ll never know it’s there. Give them a “Roll Tide!” when you walk in. $$
Looking for a hotel downtown? Fugetaboutit!
Parking will be expensive unless you don't mind walking. BEWARE of lots with time limits. They will boot your car & piss you off.
Traffic will be crazy. MARTA is an option.
Got any other question? LMK and I will do my best to answer.
Not able to make to Atlanta? Tell us your local Bama Bar.
This poll is closed
Heck, yes! I am going to the game.
Yes, don’t have a ticket but hoping to acquire one.
Yes, not going to the game but I am going for the experience.
No, spent all my money and a vacation day staring at the sun last week.
No, confined to my TV room.