It almost seems commonplace that every year Nick Saban will wrap a recruiting cycle with the top class in the nation. The cynics out there say that recruiting and their rankings have no real value. The Class of 2014 begs to differ.
Consider the accomplishments of this senior class over the last four seasons:
- 53-5 overall record, the most wins by any class in NCAA history.
- Three SEC Championships.
- Four Playoff appearances.
- Two National Championships.
- Three current NFL starters.
- Potentially nine players drafted.
THE CLASS OF 2014
* Cam Robinson OT West Monroe, LA 5-stars - 2017 NFL 2nd Round pick; Starting left tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
* Marlon Humphrey DB Hoover, AL 5-stars - 2017 NFL 1st Round pick; Starting cornerback for the Baltimore Ravens.
* Rashaan Evans LB Auburn, AL 5-stars - Projected late first or second round pick.
* Tony Brown DB Beaumont, TX 5-stars - Projected fourth round pick.
* Bo Scarbrough ATH Northport, AL 5-stars - Projected fourth round pick.
* Da’Shawn Hand DE Woodbridge, VA 5-stars - Projected sixth round pick.
* Shaun Dion Hamilton LB Montgomery, AL 4-stars - Future steal: Projected third or fourth round pick.
Hootie Jones DB Monroe, LA 4-stars With injury, not likely drafted but possible FA signing.
Josh Frazier DT Springdale, AR 4-stars - Likely FA signing.
Christian Miller LB Columbia, SC 4-stars - Returning with a chance to start.
Ross Pierschbacher OL Cedar Falls, IA 4-stars - Returning starter.
Ronnie Clark ATH Calera, AL 4-stars - Returning back-up, special teams player.
Joshua Casher OL Mobile, AL 4-stars - Returning back-up, will battle for starting center.
Dominick Jackson OL San Mateo, CA 4-stars juco - One season Detroit Lions practice squad; currently a free agent.
David Cornwell QB Norman, OK 4-stars - Transferred to Utah State.
D.J. Pettway DE Scooba, MS 4-stars - Released by the Saints after one season; Free agent.
Cam Sims WR Monroe, LA 4-stars - Likely FA signing.
Montel McBride OL Plant City, FL 4-stars - Did not qualify; Signed with Iowa Western Community College; Professional eater???
J.C. Hassenauer OL Woodbury, MN 4-stars - Started the Championship Game; Possible FA signing.
* Jarran Reed DT Scooba, MS 3-stars juco - 2016 NFL 2nd Round pick; Starting DT for the Seattle Seahawks.
Keith Holcombe LB Tuscaloosa, AL 3-stars - Returning back-up, special teams player.
Derek Kief WR Cincinnati, OH 3-stars - Returning back-up, special teams player.
Johnny Dwight DT Rochelle, GA 3-stars - Returning back-up with a chance to start.
O.J. Smith DT Bossier City, LA 3-stars - Transferred to Minnesota.
* JK Scott P Denver, CO 3-stars - On the cusp of a long NFL career.
Ty Flournoy-Smith TE Milledgeville, GA 3/2-stars juco - Out of football.
* Likely to be on an NFL roster in 2018.
It is remarkable to think that from this class, almost all of the players were starters or major contributors for the Crimson Tide.
What is your favorite crootin class in the last five?
This poll is closed
2017: Najee, Tua, Buggs, Ruggs, D-Smith, Jeudy, Moses, LaBryan, Leatherwood, Jedrick...
2016: Hurts, Mack, Jonah, Irv, Terrell, Raekwon, Quinnen, Jacobs, Diggs, Shyheim, Mayden, Forristall...
2015: Ridley, Payne, Minkah, Damien, Cotton, Ronnie, Anfernee, Hentges, Womack...
2014: CamRob, Marlon, Rashaan, Tony, Bo, SDH, Hand, Hootie, JK, Pierschbacher, Jarran...
2013: Reuben, Henry, Jonathan Allen, A’Shawn, O.J., Ardarius, Tim Williams, Averett, Eddie, Bozeman...