Yesterday was mostly chalk-friendly, no major upsets...that is, until the prime time game rolled around and the 13-seed Buffalo Bulls rolled 4-seed Arizona. UB was seriously underseeded, if we’re being honest. With Virginia Tech, Duke, Seton Hall, Davidson and Villanova, the Bulls have an excellent offense. Arizona entered the game with the No. 18 RPI, and were a 4-seed from a conference that had no team win a first-round game. The Bulls were somehow overlooked. Buffalo had a quite healthy RPI of 30 and were likewise conference champs. So, maybe pay attention to the quality of the teams rather than the name on the jerseys?
Elsewhere, the SEC looked good: Kentucky played its worst game in weeks and still beat upset-minded Davidson. Alabama, well...you know. Tennessee had the rout of the day. And Florida got red-hot in the second half to post an impressive win.
And, if you’re playing along at home, of the five schools in this tournament under FBI investigation, four have already lost with Auburn on tap. Don’t choke, Bruce. It may be your last game on the Plains.
Here’s your bracket:
Here’s what we have today:
(10) Providence vs. (7) Texas A&M 12:15 p.m. CBS
(15) CSU Fullerton vs. (2) Purdue 12:40 p.m. truTV
(13) Marshall vs. (4) Wichita State 1:30 p.m. TNT
(15) Georgia State vs. (2) Cincinnati 2 p.m. TBS
(15) Lipscomb vs. (2) UNC 2:45 p.m. CBS
(10) Butler vs. (7) Arkansas 3:10 p.m. truTV
(12) Murray State vs. (5) West Virginia 4:00 p.m. TNT
(10) Texas vs. (7) Nevada 4:30 p.m. TBS
(9) Kansas State vs. (8) Creighton 6:50 p.m. TNT
(14) Bucknell vs. (3) Michigan State 7:10 p.m. CBS
(16) Texas Southern vs. (1) Xavier 7:20 p.m. TBS
(13) Charleston vs. (4) Auburn 7:27 p.m. truTV
(16) UMBC vs. (1) Virginia 9:20 p.m. TNT
(11) Syracuse vs. (6) TCU 9:40 p.m. CBS
(9) Florida State vs. (8) Missouri 9:50 p.m. TBS
(12) New Mexico State vs. (5) Clemson 9:57 p.m. truTV