I saw a recent Tweet of this kid who was deciding whether to sign to play football with either Mississippi State Bulldogs or Florida Gators. And it got me thinking. If I had to choose between these two programs as to where I would spend the next four or five years, which would it be? In years past, it might have been a slam dunk to head to the Sunshine State. However now here in 2018, I am not so sure.
- Plans for upgraded football facilities.
- Big stadium (88,548) that fans will fill on Saturdays.
- Higher profile for Pro Scouting.
- Nice weather in winter.
- Upgraded football facilities may not be finished until 2021.
- Scott Stricklin does not appear to be the most competent of ADs, lending to some volatility among the coaching staff.
- Venomous unrealistic fanbase/meddling alumni who still think they are in the Urban era.
- The Gators are in a rebuilding mode and could suffer a few down years.
- Program is under intense news media microscope.
- Ugly ass orange uniforms.
- New Head Coach Dan Mullen had decent success in Starkville but can he handle the elevated expectations of Florida?
- Will the QB situation ever be straightened out?
MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS
- The Bullies have a solid roster going forward.
- They will be winning in-state recruiting battles versus Ole Miss (and a few others) for awhile.
- MSU should win more games than Florida in the next few seasons.
- John Cohen (who was born in Tuscaloosa btw) seems like a competent AD.
- Head coach will likely still be there by the time graduation rolls around.
- Less media scrutiny.
- In the SEC West.
- Smaller stadium (61,337) with fans too lazy to actually cheer.
- Facilities pale in comparison to others.
- Starkville is not the most exciting of cities to have to live in for 4-5 years.
- Lower profile for NFL Scouting.
- Joe Moorhead is 0-0 as a FBS head coach. Can he coach? Can he recruit?
Imagine you were in this situation. Exclude your hypothetical position played, academic field of study, distance from home (pretend you are from Dothan), and other such factors. And no, we are not playing that ‘none of the above’ game. Pick one and let us know in comments why you voted that way.
Where would you rather play college football for the next 4-5 years?
This poll is closed
* This poll may be stripped out on Google AMP and Apple News. If that is the case, vote in the Comments section.
[SIDE NOTES: Mississippi State and Florida have met on the gridiron 54 times. Fla and Tennessee have played only 47 times; Bama and Fla only 40 times, eight of which were SECCGs. The Gators lead the Bullies in the all-time series 33-19-2. The two SEC schools met every year from 1962 to 1993, but only six times since. Their last square-off was in 2010. They reunite on September 29, 2018 in Starky.]