With just one week remaining in the 2019 regular season, and championship games slated for next week, contenders have precious little time to make their final case to the committee.
The top remained unaffected by upsets, but — as usual — it’s the battle for the final spot that remains most contentious. So, let’s see what they do tonight, 6:00 CST on ESPN.
Here are our predictions. Feel free to add your own and/or react to ‘Bama’s positioning going into this most crucial of Iron Bowls.
No changes for me again this week through No. 5, with Utah sitting at No. 6. I can’t imagine anything else.
- Ohio State
They will stupidly put Oklahoma 7th, but they have no business being there.
- Ohio State
- Alabama - ‘Bama did not miss a beat.
- Georgia - Despite winning, UGA has looked sluggish for the third game in a row. If the committee is truly watching all the games, they have to recognize this fact.
- Utah - Even though the Utes haven’t beaten any team worth a spit, they aren’t winning as ugly as Oklahoma is.
- Ohio State — Ohio State was underwhelming against Penn State and still won by double digits; with that, they also rocked the AAC frontrunner and devoured Wisconsin — three wins over Top 20 teams. They have also throttled three other bowl teams. That is at least as good as what LSU has done. I would say it’s even a nod better, and they’ve looked better most of the season doing it too.
- LSU — We gonna’ talk about that defense or nah? With Auburn and Texas losing another game, that leaves the Crimson Tide and Florida as the elite wins on the schedule for the LSU Tigers. Like OSU, they have a total of three wins over the Top 20, but the middle of the Buckeyes’ schedule is stronger.
- Clemson — Dabo is going to act like a clown this week after beating a 4-7 South Carolina team. Just watch.
- Georgia — The offense is simply hideous. But, as long as Notre Dame and Tennessee and Florida and Kentucky keep winning, it’ll be overlooked. The ‘Dawgs SOS could use a Mizzou win this week for SOS purposes too. Assuming UGA beats the LSU Tigers, dodging that first round matchup against Clemson would be helpful for a team that can’t score.
- Alabama — But, UGA isn’t going to win the SECCG. So, following Georgia’s loss in Atlanta next week, it’s setting up nicely to make the P12 mad that Alabama can not win it’s division, can take a game off, and can still get in the Playoffs. For a third time. Utah is going to narrowly beat Oregon next Saturday and Larry Scott is going to be fuming.
- Utah — The committee has to be pulling for an Oregon win next week or a major upset this one. I don’t think most of the members truly believe this team is a Top 4 contender. But when the chair of the committee is the conflicted AD of Oregon, there’s too much homage being paid to this awful conference. Watch tonight to see how high they rank pedestrian USC — a 7-4 team that was sitting at No. 24 last week. Cheer up: A nice Rose Bowl versus Penn State is going to be worth it.
Brent did not give me his picks in time, so boo him soundly in the comments. Speaking of, there's some MACtion tonight, so you can use this thread tonight to talk about those sweet Akron — Ohio and Western — NIU matchups (if you wish.)