After a successful debut in Game 1 of the inaugural Alliance of American Football season, the Iron play host to Salt Lake City. The Stallions came up short in their first game losing to Arizona 38-22.
The Stallions played two quarterbacks in Game 1:
- Josh Woodrum (Liberty) - 10-22, 103, INT, TD - left with a hamstring injury and his status for this game is unknown.
- Matt Linehan (Idaho) - 7-13, 56, INT, TD
- Austin Allen gets the start.
- Branden Oliver (Buffalo) - 8-40
- Joel Bouagnon (Northern Illinois) - 16-39
Two of their top three receivers are tight ends:
- Anthony Denham TE (Utah) - 5-59
- Dres Anderson WR (Utah) - 2-25
- Nick Truesdell TE (Grand Rapids JC) - 3-23, TD
- Greer Martini LB (Notre Dame) - 6 solos, sack
- Cody Brown S (Arkansas State) - 6 solos
- Karter Schult DE (Northern Iowa) - 4 solos, sack
Honestly, there are very few players on this team whose names I recognize since they all played their college ball up north or mid-northwest. The only name you might recognize is former Arkansas QB Austin Allen.
The Birmingham offense is led by running back Trent Richardson (23-58, 2 TD, 2-pt conv reception) and QB Luis Perez (19-39-252-0-0) from Texas A&M-Commerce. Quinton Patton (Louisiana Tech) caught 4 passes for 107 yards.
The offensive line has a crimson and white look to it with four former Tide players: Brandon Greene, J.C. Hassenauer, Korren Kirven, and Dominick Jackson. Blake Sims is a reserve QB.
Linebacker Jonathan Massaquoi (Troy) was the main man on defense with 5 solos and 2 sacks. Ex-Miss. State LB Beniquez Brown had 4 tackles and a fumble recovery. Former Crimson Tide LB Xzavier Dickson had a key interception to ice the win over Memphis 26-0. Bradley Sylve had a tackle. DT Josh Frazier recorded no stats. Cole Mazza is the long snapper.
If you don’t have CBSSportsNetwork or NFL Network you are in luck as this game is on TNT. It is the network’s only airing of an AAF game - maybe a trial run?
Don’t have TNT? There is a live stream at fuboTV that you can try for free. If you have TNT, you might want to save that free trial for later in the year.