The Crimson Tide will hold its annual open practice and Fan Day tomorrow at Bryant Denny Stadium, August 3rd 2019.
This will be the public’s first chance to get a look at the 2019 Alabama football team. The practice will take place from 2:30-4:30 p.m., followed by an autograph session with players and coaches immediately after the practice on the field (approximately 4:45 p.m.) The stadium opens at 1:30 p.m. through gates 12 & 16. There will be concessions sold, and parking will be available in the West ten Hoor area of campus.
What to watch for:
- That insane freshman class of defensive linemen. It’s going to be special, folks
- The offensive line personnel. OL is a moving target with the departure of three starters, but just like their opposites on defense, this is a talented, deep group.
- Whence the inside? ILB/MLB has been a mess of late, with Alabama having practically no top-end depth. Has the talented Dylan Moses gotten sounder in pass coverage? Who else?
- Next man up: Eyabi Anoma. Sigh. But, fear not, like the defensive line, there is significant depth at OLB/rush end. It’s a matter of everyone finding their niche.
- Replacing Damien and Josh: Najee Harris and then ______? Brian Robinson seems to be the obvious companion-back, but we have not really seen Jerome Ford or Trey Sanders either. As usual, there will be a dogfight among a lot of really talented players for some reps.
- Battle for Backup. Don’t expect Mac Jones to just cede the backup QB role to ‘Lia. He may not have much of a say in the matter at the end of the day though.
- Replacing Irv. That is a big, big loss no matter how talented and deep the best wide receiving corps in the country may be.
- Xavier McKinney, it is your turn to be a superstar. Sure, you can see who else plays beside him, but X has a very long, very distinguished tradition of all-star safeties to uphold. Alabama has found someone to rise to the occasion nearly ever season. But the pressure is on him for sure.
- The hands-on coaching staff. Nick Saban has been thrilled with this rebuilt coaching staff, choosing technicians instead of pure raw recruiters. Let’s see how they interact with their personnel and the attention to detail they show.
- Health. Who’s being held out, who’s gimping around? Injuries have been a matter of life-or-death to Alabama’s recent would-be title teams.
Here are ten storylines to begin to keep an eye on entering fall camp. What are you looking for?