Alabama held its annual Fan Day event yesterday. As expected, the second practice in shorts isn’t going to offer much indication of what we’ll see in 27 days, but there were a few interesting nuggets:
- The first offensive line grouping was basically what we expected to see: Alex Leatherwood, Emil Ekiyor Jr., Chris Owens, Matt Womack, and Jedrick Wills from left to right. The two guards will have to fend off some fierce competition as camp goes along.
- Speaking of the offensive line, Landon Dickerson was unsurprisingly working third team. He will have to prove himself like anyone else.
- ILB Ale Kaho has bulked up by 12-15 lbs. and was running second team with Markail Benton, ahead of true freshmen Shane Lee and Christian Harris. Lee stood out in the spring game. Joshua McMillon continues to run first team with Dylan Moses.
- Ben Davis (!) was running in the second OLB line with Christopher Allen. Terrell Lewis and Anfernee Jennings were, of course, running first.
- Shyheim Carter and Jared Mayden were seemingly splitting reps at the safety spot alongside Xavier McKinney. The top six in what should be an outstanding secondary are likely known, it’s just a matter of the pecking order in nickel and dime.
- Trey Sanders created quite a bit of buzz. He just looks a little faster than everyone else in the RB line despite his impressive size, and he catches the ball like a wide receiver. All of the backs will likely be more involved in the passing game under Steve Sarkisian.
- The only players who missed practice were DE LaBryan Ray and TE Miller Forristall, both expected to be back in a few days. In their stead were Justin Eboigbe and Major Tennison, respectively.
That’s about it for notables. BamaInsider.com put together a little highlight video for you, embedded below.