The annual High School Football All-American Bowl takes place on Saturday, January 4 at Noon CT/1pm ET in San Antonio, Texas, airing on NBC.
The first edition of this game was played in December 2000. In the beginning, most players would participate in this game as a way to showcase their wares to other coaches across the country and possibly earn scholarship offers. Soon after LeBron did his Decision thing in 2010, it became a chance for prospects to announce their commitment in a big showy hat switcheroo way. Today entering the third decade, the rosters are full of players who are mostly committed or already signed. With the new trend of college upperclassmen skipping bowls, it makes little sense for these young men - many of whom are enrolling at their college of choice in a few days - to continue to play in these games.
Several Alabama-bound players and a few prospects will be taking part. Early Enrollees are denoted with “EE”.
Bama commit Will Anderson vs the no. 1 OT in the country Paris Johnson. pic.twitter.com/dpI0P18pt1— Barton Simmons (@bartonsimmons) December 31, 2019
Will Anderson is a beast. So much explosion pic.twitter.com/f25QggoD1a— Charles Power (@CharlesPower) January 1, 2020
- 28 Will Anderson DE (Hampton, GA) 6’4”/235 Signed, EE - Anderson has been drawing rave reviews at All-Am practices this week.
- 13 Malachi Moore S (Trussville, AL) 6’0”/175 Signed, EE
- 6 Quandarrius Robinson OLB (Birmingham, AL) 6’5”/217 Signed - Help at LB is on the way.
- 14 Brian Branch S (Tyrone, GA) 6’1”/178 Signed - Highly underrated safety who had a monster senior year.
- 7 Javon Baker WR (Powder Springs, GA) 6’1”/183 - Committed but not signed as of yet, speculation has it that he needs to work out some academic issues. News on this front has sounded optimistic.
- 9 Jamil Burroughs DT (Powder Springs, GA) 6’3”/320 - Same situation as Baker, Burroughs told reporters this week he is solid to the Tide.
UNCOMMITTED TARGETS OF NOTE
8 Xzavier Henderson WR (Miami, FL) 6’3.5”/180 - Trending Florida over Clemson.
22 Jahmry Gibbs RB (Dalton, GA) 5’11”/194 - Georgia Tech commit and fan favorite probably won’t fit into the Alabama class.
72 Brady Ward OT (Mobile, AL) 6’7”/310 - It’s a little surprising this St. Paul’s Episcopal offensive lineman is included in this game. He has an outside shot at a blueshirt or greyshirt with the Tide.
Bryce Young is on another level in these 1-on-1’s. Every pass has been a dime. Here to Gary Bryant pic.twitter.com/OkHmd9gHP4— Charles Power (@CharlesPower) January 1, 2020
Another great one from Bryce Young. To LV Bunkley-Shelton. Branch in coverage pic.twitter.com/SW9JXp431J— Charles Power (@CharlesPower) January 1, 2020
9 Bryce Young QB (Santa Ana, CA) 6’0”/180 Signed, EE - Five-star, the future at quarterback for the Crimson Tide.
UNCOMMITTED TARGETS OF NOTE
44 McKinnley Jackson DT (Lucedale, MS) 6-2/327 - This big man is highly coveted by the Crimson Tide as well as the rest of the SEC. He has already officially visited Alabama and Auburn, and plans to see LSU, Ole Miss, and TAMU this month. It will be an uphill battle for the Crimson Tide to obtain his signature. He will announce/sign on NSD.
99 Alfred Collins SDE 6-5/275 Bastrop, TX - There has been some speculation that Alabama might push for him, but signs point to him signing with a Big-12 team (Baylor, Oklahoma, or Texas).