Ever since 5-star cornerback Ga’Quincy McKinstry committed to the Crimson Tide on Oct 25, recruiting has gone quiet at the Capstone as well as much of the nation. Many classes are filling up but there are those few recruits who are holding out hope for official visits to campuses that just aren’t going to happen.
The NCAA Dead Period of no contact has been intact since early spring and as of now will continue through the new year. Still, that doesn’t stop recruits and their families from visiting on their own and going to games. The Tide has two more home games, vs Kentucky this Saturday and the Iron Bowl the following weekend.
Alabama currently has 23 committed for the 2021 class (including a greyshirt). There are many ways to fudge the numbers with additional greyshirts, blueshirts, back-counting, etc. Thus, Nick Saban could sign over the 25 limit. On the other hand, he could stick with this 23 and go fishing in the Transfer Portal.
(EE = Early Enrollee)
DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS
- Tunmise Adeleye (Katy, TX) #32 EE - Formerly committed to Ohio State, this DE has been playing a lot of games with his crootin’. He has been filling his Twitter feed up with teases and even held a poll looking for love from fan base of his three finalists Texas A&M, Alabama, and Florida (I’m proud to say Bama was a distant third; we don’t play that s**t). He had one Tweet that said “It’s over” and then days later states “...don’t believe these crystal balls it’s up and everyone has an equal shot.” I could be wrong, but guys like that tend to not end up signing with Alabama.
- Shemar Turner (DeSoto, TX) #58 - For a long it time it felt like this DE would commit to Alabama. However, the more time goes by, the more this process feels a lot like the recruitment of other recent Texas defensive linemen (Bobby Brown, McKinnley Jackson, DeMarvin Lea) who flirted with the Tide but then ended up with Texas A&M. He has said he still wants to visit schools before he decides.
With the LSU football program turning back into a pumpkin combined with the recent controversy within the administration, many recruits and their families have to be reconsidering their options.
- Brian Thomas (Walker, LA) #62 - This Alabama wide receiver class is already outstanding with three of the top nine committed to the Tide. Adding the No. 8 pass-catcher in the nation would be gravy. The battle is down to LSU and Alabama. Despite his hometown being 20 some miles away from Death Valley, the Crimson Tide is looking really strong for his commitment. His original plan was to announce at the Under Armour All-America game, but that event has been cancelled.
- Maason Smith (Houma, LA) #21 EE - Bama and UGA have long looked like runner-ups for this 5-star DT and may still be. But Woo Boy! The whole LSU campus is looking like a dumpster fire right about now.
The recent attention on the Gators program may be seducing a few of the in-state uncommitted. It’s funny how just a few weeks ago when UF lost to Texas A&M, everyone was writing them off. It’s too bad the Early Signing Period (Dec 16-18) ends before the SEC Championship Game (Dec 19).
- Terrion Arnold (Tallahassee, FL) #147 - The 4-star safety is not expected to announce anytime soon. Alabama, Florida and Georgia.
- Xavian Sorey (Graceville, FL/IMG) #69 EE - I keep seeing this name in the Bama crootin’ circles, but I just don’t see it. Also Alabama, Florida and Georgia.
- J.T. Tuimoloau (Sammamish, WA) #2 - Some of the “experts” see this one as a two-horse race between Alabama and Ohio State. As of today, I’m having a hard time believing the Tide will get him. Get comfortable. He is not announcing until February.
- Camar Wheaton (Garland, TX) #23 - The nation’s top running back is looking like an Oklahoma lean but he has not shut down his recruitment. He too will wait until February.
Alabama has 17 Early Enrollee, so far.
- Tommy Brockermeyer OT Fort Worth, TX 6’6”/288 #4 247sports composite. EE
- JC Latham OT Chicago, IL (IMG) 6’6”/305, #7 EE
- Damon Payne DT Belleville, MI 6’3.5”/297 #19
- Ga’Quincy McKinstry CB Pinson, AL 6’0-5”/180 #24 EE
- Jacorey Brooks WR Miami, FL (IMG) 6’3”/180 #28 EE
- Dallas Turner DE/OLB Ft. Lauderdale, FL 6’4”/235 #41
- TJ Ferguson OL Fort Valley, GA 6’4”/300 #50 EE
- Christian Leary WR Orlando, FL 5’9”/190 #62 EE
- Agiye Hall WR Valricio, FL 6’2”/183 #66 EE
- Jalen Milroe QB Katy, TX 6’1.5”/192 #83 EE
- Monkell Goodwine DE/OLB Fort Washington, MD 6’4/260 #85 EE
- Deontae Lawson LB Mobile, AL 6’3”/215 #105 EE
- Kaine Williams S Marrero, LA 6’2”/190 #151 EE
- Kendrick Blackshire LB Duncanville, TX 6’2”/245 #156 EE
- James Brockermeyer OG/OC Fort Worth, TX 6’3” 273 #179 EE
- Ian Jackson LB Prattville, AL 6’1”/249 #237 EE
- Kadarius Calloway DB Philadelphia, MS 6’0”/210 #271
- Devonta Smith CB Cincinnati, OH 6’0”/185 #309 - UP 101 spots! EE
- Tim Keenan DT Birmingham, AL 6’2”/364 #364
- Khyree Jackson CB Upper Marlboro, MD 6’3”/197 #3 juco player
- Anquin Barnes DT Montgomery, AL 6’5”/310 #520
- Robbie Ouzts TE Rock Hill, SC 6’4”/240 #6134 EE
- * Caden Clark TE Akron, OH EE - Greyshirt.