Last week’s Iron Bowl was a big win for Alabama. The Crimson Tide’s 42-13 dismantling of Auburn wasn’t the only positive result from the meeting. The game also made strong impressions on some recruits.
Due to the NCAA Dead Period of no contact extending way into the new year, any 2021 recruits wanting to visit a school’s campus before February Signing Day will have to do so on their own dime. Three highly-sought after prospects did just that this past weekend, traveling to Tuscaloosa from pretty far distances. The fact that these recruits spent the time and money says volumes about their interests.
- WR Xavier Worthy and his mother traveled all the way from Fresno, CA for the game and soon after the Michigan commit sent out the above Tweet. For months, it appeared he was solid to the Wolverines. For the first time this recruiting cycle, it really looks like he could flip to Bama. Many scouts have been comparing him to DeVonta Smith. Watching the Tide senior in person may have swayed the 4-star. He is an Early Enrollee (EE). As a side note, there are reports that say Alabama is willing to take both Worthy and uncommitted Brian Thomas at wide receiver.
- DE Tunmise Adeleye visited Tuscaloosa with his father this past weekend from Katy, TX. Alabama is making strides with him, but Texas A&M still feels like the team to beat. EE
- OLB Xavian Sorey did not have as far to travel as the above two, coming in from the Florida panhandle. Though originally from Graceville, FL - just south of Dothan, AL - Sorey played this past season at IMG in Bradenton, FL. Geographic distance is probably not a huge factor. He has named a top three of Alabama, Florida and Georgia but other than that has been tight-lipped about his recruitment. The sheer number of linebackers the Tide have taken in the last two classes might be scaring him off. EE
ALABAMA AT LSU
Ed Orgeron would probably prefer recruits not show up for this game. It is highly likely the below will somehow find a ticket (wink, wink).
- WR Brian Thomas (Walker, LA) - Many believe this 4-star favors Alabama and Texas A&M with LSU still within reach.
- DT Maason Smith (Houma, LA) - Newly christened #1 overall player by Rivals is still an LSU lean over Bama and UGA. EE
- S Sage Ryan (Lafayette, LA) - LSU commit is probably not flipping.
- S Jardin Gilbert (Baton Rouge, LA) - Oklahoma, LSU.
DECOMMITS FROM RIVALS
Auburn and Tennessee had recent high-profile decommits, one of whom calls the state of Alabama home.
- RB Armoni Goodwin (Hewitt-Trussville, AL) - This 5’8’’/196 4-star running back decommitted from Auburn on Nov 30. He has expressed interest in Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, and FSU. Despite his #96 overall ranking by 247sports composite, the Crimson Tide does not appear interested in adding him to the 2021 class unless they get down to February Signing Day and have an opening. If I had to guess, he probably ends up back with Auburn.
- ILB Terrence Lewis (Opa Locka, FL) - 247 comp has him as a 5-star and #16 player. Despite Alabama’s need for that alpha dog Mike linebacker, they do not appear interested. There is some talk that Lewis has “off-field issues”. Many of the crootin’ “experts” think he lands at Auburn, but don’t count out Florida or Miami.
- QB Luke Altmyer (Starkville, MS) - Alabama was highly interested in flipping this 4-star pro-style from FSU this summer, but instead went with Jalen Milroe (the better choice IMHO). The vibes are he ends up at Ole Miss.
MOVING ON UP
JC Latham has moved up to the #2 overall prospect. Dallas Turner has skyrocketed from #43 to #8. Deontae Lawson has gone from #105 to #55, followed closely by Agiye Hall who is up 10 spots to #56. The biggest climber is Kadarius Calloway who shot up from #271 to #150.
The Early Signing Period is less than two weeks away, Dec 16. All of the below committed are expected to sign during that time. Many of them intend to enroll in January.
- JC Latham OT Chicago, IL (IMG) 6’6”/305, #2 EE
- Tommy Brockermeyer OT Fort Worth, TX 6’6”/288 #5 247sports composite. EE
- Dallas Turner DE/OLB Ft. Lauderdale, FL 6’4”/235 #8
- Damon Payne DT Belleville, MI 6’3.5”/297 #19
- Ga’Quincy McKinstry CB Pinson, AL 6’0-5”/180 #23 EE
- Jacorey Brooks WR Miami, FL (IMG) 6’3”/180 #34 EE
- TJ Ferguson OL Fort Valley, GA 6’4”/300 #54 EE
- Deontae Lawson LB Mobile, AL 6’3”/215 #55 EE
- Agiye Hall WR Valricio, FL 6’2”/183 #56 EE
- Christian Leary WR Orlando, FL 5’9”/190 #68 EE
- Jalen Milroe QB Katy, TX 6’1.5”/192 #78 EE
- Monkell Goodwine DE/OLB Fort Washington, MD 6’4/260 #89 EE
- Kendrick Blackshire LB Duncanville, TX 6’2”/245 #144 EE
- Kadarius Calloway DB Philadelphia, MS 6’0”/210 #150
- Kaine Williams S Marrero, LA 6’2”/190 #170 EE
- James Brockermeyer OG/OC Fort Worth, TX 6’3”/273 #183 EE
- Ian Jackson LB Prattville, AL 6’1”/249 #235 EE
- Devonta Smith CB Cincinnati, OH 6’0”/185 #313
- Tim Keenan DT Birmingham, AL 6’2”/364 #364
- Khyree Jackson CB Upper Marlboro, MD 6’3”/197 #3 juco player
- Anquin Barnes DT Montgomery, AL 6’5”/310 #521
- Robbie Ouzts TE Rock Hill, SC 6’4”/240 #615 EE
- * Caden Clark TE Akron, OH EE - Greyshirt.