Since the introduction of the Early Signing Period in football, it has become the de facto National Signing Day. The ESP will be next Wednesday, December 16, a day in which Alabama is expected to sign at least 23 recruits for 2021. NSD is February 3 and has become more of an auxiliary signing day. The Crimson Tide could end up with as many as 26 or 27 in this class, but there will need to be some creative number-crunching.
Below is a quick rundown of who Alabama is believed to be targeting the most (in no particular order):
DE JT Tuimoloau (Sammamish, WA) - The nation’s No. 2 overall ranked player has Alabama among his final seven but will not sign until February. If he wants to Roll with the Tide, Nick Saban will find a way to fit him in. But I am not feeling it right now. Of course, much can change over two months.
WR Xavier Worthy (Fresno, CA) - His visit to Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl made a big impression. Reports say that his mom likes Michigan and the relationships they have forged with the UM staff, but she will not stop her son from flipping if that is what he wants. Still, might Worthy stick with his Michigan pledge just to please his mother? Another issue is what the Wolverines do with Jim Harbaugh and Josh Gattis. There is talk of Harbaugh actually getting an extension, but it sounds like a lot of hooey to get them through the ESP. Even if he does return, there is no guarantee that OC Gattis will be back as well. Alabama has a very good shot at flipping.
DT Maason Smith (Houma, LA) - The 5-star has long been an LSU lean. Who knows what will happen with all the chaos (losing record, players quitting, sexual assault scandal) descending on Baton Rouge? Born on the bayou, I still feel he sticks with the Tigers.
S Sage Ryan (Lafayette, LA) - Word is that even with his commitment to LSU, he is still answering the phone when Bama staffers call him.
WR Brian Thomas (Walker, LA) - Despite his proximity to Baton Rouge, LSU is looking like a runner-up right now. Thomas does not talk too much about his recruiting but it appears to be Alabama versus Texas A&M.
DE Keanu Koht (Vero Beach, FL) - The Tide staff was REALLY high on Koht until he made his pledge to LSU in July. Much has changed since that time. There is a buzz that Alabama is back in the fight. This is one LSU recruit who has no Looziana roots.
S Terrion Arnold (Tallahassee, FL) - Alabama has a lot of work to do here. Florida feels like the favorite right now. He is not expected to decide until February.
DE Tunmise Adeleye (Katy, TX) - Maybe it is just me but this guy doesn’t seem to fit the Alabama culture. He plays Twitter tease games and says one thing then does another. I think he ends up at Texas A&M, but then I am just a guy with a laptop. Amirite?
RB Armoni Goodwin (Trussville, AL) - Decommitment from Auburn. I don’t think Alabama has room unless the running back room thins out in the next couple of months. If he waits until February to see what Brian Robinson (return or go pro) and Keilan Robinson (opted out) do, there may be a shot.
S Jardin Gilbert (Baton Rouge, LA) - Another one who could profit from waiting until February Oklahoma and LSU are also suitors.
OLB Xavian Sorey (Graceville, FL) - Prediction: Georgia.
DE Shemar Turner (DeSoto, TX) - Prediction: Texas A&M.
RB Camar Wheaton - Prediction: Oklahoma.
The Early Signing Period is less than two weeks away, Dec 16. All of the below committed are expected to sign during that time. Many of them intend to enroll in January.
- JC Latham OT Chicago, IL (IMG) 6’6”/305, #2 EE
- Tommy Brockermeyer OT Fort Worth, TX 6’6”/288 #5 247sports composite. EE
- Dallas Turner DE/OLB Ft. Lauderdale, FL 6’4”/235 #8
- Damon Payne DT Belleville, MI 6’3.5”/297 #19
- Ga’Quincy McKinstry CB Pinson, AL 6’0-5”/180 #23 EE
- Jacorey Brooks WR Miami, FL (IMG) 6’3”/180 #34 EE
- TJ Ferguson OL Fort Valley, GA 6’4”/300 #54 EE
- Deontae Lawson LB Mobile, AL 6’3”/215 #55 EE
- Agiye Hall WR Valricio, FL 6’2”/183 #56 EE
- Christian Leary WR Orlando, FL 5’9”/190 #68 EE
- Jalen Milroe QB Katy, TX 6’1.5”/192 #78 EE
- Monkell Goodwine DE/OLB Fort Washington, MD 6’4/260 #89 EE
- Kendrick Blackshire LB Duncanville, TX 6’2”/245 #144 EE
- Kadarius Calloway DB Philadelphia, MS 6’0”/210 #150
- Kaine Williams S Marrero, LA 6’2”/190 #170 EE
- James Brockermeyer OG/OC Fort Worth, TX 6’3”/273 #183 EE
- Ian Jackson LB Prattville, AL 6’1”/249 #235 EE
- Devonta Smith CB Cincinnati, OH 6’0”/185 #313
- Tim Keenan DT Birmingham, AL 6’2”/364 #364
- Khyree Jackson CB Upper Marlboro, MD 6’3”/197 #3 juco player
- Anquin Barnes DT Montgomery, AL 6’5”/310 #521
- Robbie Ouzts TE Rock Hill, SC 6’4”/240 #615 EE
- * Caden Clark TE Akron, OH EE - Greyshirt.