Nick Saban is so good at so many things when it comes to running a college football program. Chief among these qualities is adaptability. With the kibosh put on camps and face-to-face meetings, the Alabama staff have found other ways of working towards fortifying the roster for the future. Saban is taking grasp of what technology is giving him, having several daily FaceTime and Zoom calls with prospects, parents, and high school coaches. And it’s not just one call, he and his staff regularly stay in contact with prospects.
Saban has been doing a different type of recruiting lately which is enlisting an assemblage of professors, deans, strength & conditioning staff, nutrition staff, current and past Alabama players to dial up recruits and their families to talk about life as a member of the Tide, student life on campus, and answer any questions they may have. 4D Chess.
CURRENT 2021 COMMITS
Alabama now has eleven committed to the Class of 2021:
- JC Latham OT Chicago, IL (IMG) 6’6”/305, #17 247sports comp.
- Jacorey Brooks WR Miami, FL (IMG) 6’3”/180 #27
- Dallas Turner DE/OLB Ft. Lauderdale, FL 6’4”/235 #44
- Agiye Hall WR Valricio, FL 6’2”/183 #70
- Deontae Lawson LB Mobile, AL 6’3”/215 #111
- Christian Leary WR Orlando, FL 5’9”/190 #126
- Kaine Williams S/LB Marrero, LA 6’2”/190 #155
- Ian Jackson LB Prattville, AL 6’1”/210 #234
- Kadarius Calloway DB Philadelphia, MS 6’0”/210 #365
- Devonta Smith CB Cincinnati, OH 6’0”/185 #400
- Anquin Barnes DT Montgomery, AL 6’5”/310 #487
AN UNEXPECTED FLIP
The flip of Kadarius Calloway from Mississippi State was highly unexpected and took everyone by surprise. The DB prospect had over 1,000 all-purpose yards last season and 974 yard receiving, but an eye-popping ELEVEN interceptions as a cornerback. As mentioned in Thursday’s Jumbo Package, he has good size and versatility to play an array of positions on defense. Look for him to earn a fourth star in the near future once the “experts” see him play. Freddie Roach is credited with this commit.
The next class is already off to a gigantic start with these two firm commitments. There is not much reason to think either waivers on their decision:
- Jeremiah Alexander DE/OLB Alabaster, AL 6’2”/235 #11 by 247sports
- Robert Woodyard ILB Mobile, AL 6’2”/215 #58 by 247sports
The Crimson Tide are climbing their way up the the 2021 Team Rankings, now No. 11 in the 247sports rankings after being down around Rutgersville just a few weeks ago. Their average player ranking is fourth behind Ohio State, Clemson, and Georgia - who figures only a fraction ahead.
- It is going to be tough to catch the Buckeyes for the top spot. However, Alabama is still working on 4/5-star Texan Tunmise Adeleye. The No. 32 ranked player will be playing at IMG this fall and is sure to have 5-star teammates JC Latham and Jacorey Brooks in his ear this fall.
- 5-star DT Damon Payne appears to be trending towards the Crimson Tide. You have probably heard of prospects referred to as “beasts”. Payne is the kind of creature who feasts on beasts. He’s a beast-feaster. No announcement date has been scheduled as of yet for the Michigan native.
- Alabama may have finally zeroed in on a much-needed tight end in Robbie Ouzts out of Rock Hill, South Carolina. He often splits out wide for his high school team and also PUNTS! On tape, he has good speed, not the lumbering type of running typical of tight ends. Outzts recorded 32 receptions for 465 yards last season. Although ranked as a 3-star, this guy might be a sleeper. Since, football is currently in an extended Dead Period, he had a self-guided visit to Alabama last month where he took in the campus as well as downtown Tuscaloosa. He is down to Alabama and Virginia Tech.
- The Tide is expected to take a fourth wide receiver in this class. The top target is No. 60 Brian Thomas. It is a tight race with LSU for the Walker, LA resident’s signature.
- Talk buzzing around 5-star OT Tommy Brockmeyer and his 4-star G/C brother James is that they may be announcing soon. It appears to be down to Alabama and the sentimental pick of Texas.
- There is a general feeling that Alabama has caught up with UGA on 5-star OT Amarius Mims. The Cochran, GA native has long been a Bulldogs lean having taken several visits to the campus. Proximity might explain that factor. It is said that Mims grew up an Alabama fan, but we’ve heard that ditty before and it has often been out of tune. He tentatively plans to announce on August 15.
- 4-star ILB Kendrick Blackshire (Duncanville, TX) recently told a reporter that he will commit sometime within the next two weeks. Bama appears to be the leader over LSU and Texas A&M.
- Jason Marshall has been a Gators lean for quite a while. However, Alabama has gained on Florida and it could be a 50-50 race for the 5-star Miami cornerback.
- Odds are that Ga’Quincy McKinstry (Pinson, AL) will drag his announcement out until he gets a bigger stage. Alabama still feels like the favorite for the 5-star CB.
- Not much news on the quarterback front. And who can blame them with Bryce Young on the Tide roster? Alabama is still going after Texas commit Jalen Milroe (Katy, TX) and FSU commit Luke Altmyer (Starkville, MS). This observer is less than optimistic about either of those 4-stars flipping. More than likely, Alabama takes a flyer on a 3-star. Keep an eye on uncommitted Kaden McMullen out of Missouri and West Virginia commit Will Crowder from Gardendale, AL.