Nick Saban continued his tradition of begrudgingly issuing a depth chart to media on the first game week Monday, and there aren’t too many surprises.
- As expected, Mac Jones is the starting QB. No “or” designation.
- John Metchie III is the third starting WR alongside DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle.
- Emil Ekiyor Jr. nailed down the OL opening vacated by Jedrick Wills Jr. He is slotted at RG, moving Evan Neal outside to RT.
- Waddle is operating out of the slot with Slade Bolden as his understudy.
- Will Anderson won the jack LB job in his first camp, which is incredibly difficult for a true freshman. We will get to see what this young man has from the jump. Drew Sanders is listed second at the position with no third, so the youth movement is in full effect.
- Ben Davis, who had been starting for much of camp, shares an “or” at sam with Christopher Allen.
- Daniel Wright won the starting FS job, with DeMarcco Hellams running second.
- Josh Jobe has won the outside CB job opposite Patrick Surtain II and Malachi Moore will start at star. Moore has an “or” designation with Brian Branch, so he’s probably the money.
- Justin Eboigbe reportedly had a strong camp and has emerged as a DE starter opposite LaBryan Ray, sharing an “or” with Christian Barmore who has been limited with a knee issue.
- DJ Dale will be backed up by the other splashy freshman name in camp, Tim Smith. Ishmael Sopsher is running third at the nose and he has had plenty of positive reviews as well.
- Will Reichard is the kicker, as expected. Mac Jones is the primary holder. You usually want someone other than the starting QB for that role, but he is the man.
- A freshman walk-on named Sam Johnson will punt. Just kidding, we ain’t punting. Johnson is listed first in a three-way “or” with Charlie Scott and Ty Perine, in that order.
- Waddle and Smith are listed as the top two KR, and I’m not terribly crazy about that.
- Landon Dickerson and Chris Owens have an “or” designation at starting center.
For the most part, this is pretty well what we expected with the exception of the all-freshman depth chart at jack and the out-of-nowhere freshman punter.