Saturday started out like a typical fall Saturday. Low scoring Big Ten games and high scoring Big 12 games and utter insanity from Ole Miss-Arkansas. Upsets are always expected. It was just Alabama’s turn.
Alabama streaks snapped tonight:— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 10, 2021
- 100 straight wins vs unranked opponents (last loss in 2007); was longest streak in the AP Poll Era
- 24 straight wins by Nick Saban vs former assistants while at Alabama (was 24-0 in these games)
- 19-game win streak, longest active in the FBS pic.twitter.com/SLPXDfID14
Texas A&M 41 Alabama 38 - After four games of absolute trash performances, Zach Calzada (21-31, 285 YDS, 3 TD, 1 INT) played the game of his life. Time will tell if it was a flukey one-time “Stephen Garcia” performance or his introduction to the college football world.
Nick Saban and Alabama had so many crazy insane streaks going. You had to know they wouldn’t last forever. Not to make excuses for the Crimson Tide, but the two games they have struggled in were on the road in LOUD hostile SEC stadiums. Going back to the 2019 season when stadiums were full, only Evan Neal was a full-time starter. Bama has so many new starters and major contributors who need to learn how to play in front of full away stadiums.
Oklahoma just scored 25 points in about nine minutes of game time to take the lead over Texas. pic.twitter.com/j0D2Ew5akh— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) October 9, 2021
Oklahoma 55 Texas 48 - Texas jumped out to a big 28-7 lead in the first quarter of the Red River Shootout and it looked like doom for Okie. Sooners coach Lincoln Riley needed to make a drastic move, so he benched Everybody’s All-American Spencer Rattler and inserted freshman Caleb Williams. It was just the spark OU needed. Texas blew a 41-23 lead as Boomer Sooner scored 25 fourth quarter points, punctuated by a game-winning 33 yard run with 3 ticks to go.
SIDE NOTE: This past recruiting cycle, Alabama was heavily recruiting Xavier Worthy - primarily by Tide OC Steve Sarkisian. For some reason, the Fresno, CA native committed to Michigan. In April, he flipped to Sark and Texas. Against Okie, the freshman had 9 grabs for 261 yards and 2 TDs in a losing effort. What could have been...
Iowa 23 Penn State 20 - This was peak ugly Big Ten football. Despite throwing interceptions in two of their first three possessions, the Litany Nylons still led 14-3 in the first quarter and 17-3 when starting quarterback Sean Clifford was knocked out of the game and did not return. After that point, PSU was highly ineffective on offense with their back-up QB and Iowa just chipped away.
I don’t like bo nix as the QB . He should’ve been a slot receiver!! He’s quick and has nice cuts he’s not a QB sorry buddy . Just admit you love losing pic.twitter.com/weu5p77Qei— HugoRonaldo (@wak33m) October 10, 2021
Georgia 34 Auburn 10 - What a shocker. Bo Nix channeling JFF’s wild YOLO scrambling did not work against the competent UGA defense. The Aubie QB was back to his crapiness (21-38, 217 YDS, 1 INT, 10 CARR, -16 YDS). May he reign forever. I regret giving Bryan Harsin credit for benching Nix since he put his sorry ass back in and left him there. How do you not see??? Tank Bigsby (10-28) was again ineffective for the third straight game as the Tigers totaled 46 rushing yards.
This Georgia team is pretty scary. The defense has given up 33 points on the season with 0 first half touchdowns allowed. Additionally, they are winning with Stetson frickin Bennett XVII as their quarterback. Lock them into the CFP.
OLE MISS SURVIVES!— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 9, 2021
Arkansas scored and went for 2 with 0:00 remaining
Ole Miss 52 Arkansas 51 - 103 points, 163 combined plays, and 1,287 combined yards. Just your typical Arky-OM game. At the end of the game, Arky scored a TD and Sam Pittman chose to go for a 2-point conversion. But it was not meant to be.
SIDE NOTE: OM running back Jerrion Ealy might want to think about picking up a bat and glove full time. Sophomore Henry Parrish has supplanted him at running back. Snoop Conner might be ahead of him too. Ealy, true junior, suffered a concussion in the Alabama game that caused him to miss the Arkansas game.
Kentucky 42 LSU 21 - The Wildcats dominated the line of scrimmage with running backs Chris Rodriguez (16-147 yds) and Kavosiey Smoke (12-104 yds) chewing up yardage. UK jumped out to a 21-0 advantage and led by as much as 35-7 in the fourth quarter before LSU scored a pair of late TDs. This is only the second time in school history since 1910 that the ‘Cats are 6-0. The last time was in 1950 with a certain coach named Paul W. “Bear” Bryant.
Missouri 48 North Texas 35 - Even in victory, Mizzou has big issues. Starting with giving up 493 yards and five touchdowns to this one-win team. The Mean Green lost two fumbles and threw a pair of picks and still made it somewhat close. If I am Tigers QB Connor Bazelak, I would have an eye on the transfer portal, looking for an upgrade. I hate to say it, but UGA would be a perfect landing spot for him.
Tennessee 45 South Carolina 20 - The Vols jumped out to a 35-0 lead and cruised to their fourth win. UT has been playing so much better since
Feleipe Franks Joe Milton got injured and Kyle Trask Hendon Hooker came in. If you saw transfers Milton (Michigan) and Hooker (Va Tech) play last season, you knew coming into the season who the better QB was. Clearly Dan Mullen Josh Heupel did not. He got lucky.
Florida 42 Vanderbilt 0 - Vandy kicker Joseph Bulovas was 0 for 3 in field goal attempts, missing from 33, 39, and 41. It might be time to scout out the girls’ soccer team again.
How did he come down with this?! pic.twitter.com/rFu9WwXxbm— ESPN College Football (@ESPNCFB) October 9, 2021
Boise 26 BYU 17 - The Mormons got beat at home by what is probably the worst Smurfs team in many seasons. The Coogs turned the ball over four times, three via fumble. they fall from the unbeaten and any fleeting hopes of playoff inclusion.
Washington State 31 Oregon State 24 - The Beavers were looking like the feel good story of the year. After dumping Southern Cal and Washington on their arses the last two weekends, OSUw laid this egg against a blah Wazzu team.
OH, HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN
Utah 42 Southern Cal 26 - Klevon Skovis loses another one at home. The Utes, have beaten the Trojans four out of the last eight meetings.
Florida State 35 North Carolina 25 - What in the heck has happened to Sam Howell and UNC? From Heisman candidate for a #10 team to the ACC basement at the halfway mark. Carolina scored the first ten points in the first. FSU retorted with three second quarter touchdowns and it was basically over at that point. The Tar Heels scored a TD & two-point conversion with 2+ minutes remaining to make it look closer than it was.
VICTOIRE MICHIGAN!— The Trick Play Podcast (@TheTrickPlayFR) October 10, 2021
Les Wolverines battent finalement une bonne équipe de Nebraska au terme d’un match haletant.
Le jeu à la course de Michigan a été efficace pour stopper Adrian Martinez et ses 3 TDs.
Et finalement, un fumble a décidé de l’issue! pic.twitter.com/yzrow5c0vb
Michigan 32 Nebraska 29 - The Cornhuskers had a late 29-26 lead. The Wolvies kicked a tying field goal with three minutes left. UN quarterback Adrian Martinez had been playing a solid game until he fumbled in his own end and Michy kicked the game winning field goal with 1:24 left.
Wake Forest 40 Syracuse 37 (OT) - Remember former Clanga-clang QB Garrett Shrader who Mike Leach ran off? He landed in Syracuse, NY (poor guy). He was most of the offense against Wake, passing 15-27, 160 yards, 2 TD and rushing 29 carries, 178 yards, 1 TD. He connected from 28 yards with 21 seconds to tie the game. In overtime, Shrader was sacked and had to settle for a field goal. The Deacs scored a TD for the win.
Kenneth Walker and Jalen Nailor dap up mid-touchdown. Iconic. pic.twitter.com/3po3pWR8g0— Ian Kress (@ian_kress) October 9, 2021
Funny or classless? ^^^
CHRIS OLAVE IS A MAGICIAN HOLY pic.twitter.com/bHBhqp6DY5— Barstool OSU (@BarstoolOSU) October 9, 2021
Ohio State 66 Maryland 17 - For the second straight game, the Turtles gave up 50+ points in a B1G rout. One can only imagine how well Maryland might be doing if they had stayed in the ACC.
Arizona State 28 Stanford 10 - The party school smacked down the uppity code writers who were feeling all good about themselves for beating the Dux the week before. The Sun Devils (5-1) lead the PAC West.
Oregon (4-1) had the week off.
CREEPIEST DUO OF THE WEEK
From the MONTGOMERY ADVERTISER: “Jordan-Hare was shaking. Cam Newton was screaming. Bruce Pearl was stripping. Bryan Harsin was gambling. Bo Nix was dealing.” Great lines about a wild Saturday in college football. @AuburnU @DrunkAubie @AubietheTiger01 @MGMAdvertiser pic.twitter.com/gkzmN2c8L1— Michael Bird (@MichaelBird605) October 10, 2021
What the F is wrong with Pearl? This blobby 61-year old guy is the head basketball coach and this is at least the second time he has been filmed taking his shirt off in public. EWW! Imagine if these were the faces of your university.
ACT LIKE YOU’VE BEEN THERE BEFORE? BUT WHAT IF YOU HAVEN’T?
XAVIER WORTHY CAN FLY— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 9, 2021
WELCOME TO WEEK 6
KID BROTHER BULLIED
Taulia Tagovailoa 28-39, 279 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT -61 yards rushing, 5 sacks.
IRONIC NAME OF THE WEEK
Marshall RB Knowledge McDaniel was arrested and faces felony drug charges after a surprise raid on his apartment by the Huntington PD. The RS-sophomore has 107 rushing yards and a TD in a reserve role.
FUNNIEST TWITTER THREAD OF THE WEEK
For every 25 likes this gets, we'll make Jason Kidd's collar bigger pic.twitter.com/RLKAbbw9T7— Korked Bats (@korkedbats) October 7, 2021
Follow it all the way through. You won’t regret it.
CRYBABY OF THE WEEK
It’s hard to watch this and look at John Samuel Shenker immediately break wide open on the far right side pic.twitter.com/vzBigEYKwq— Justin Hokanson (@_JHokanson) October 10, 2021
Nice touch, Bo.
This will shock you. Bo Nix spent the post-game presser whining about the officials: “Fourth-and-3 gives us a chance at the back of the end zone, and the guy completely grabs him. I thought it should’ve definitely been a pass interference. It’s just stuff like that that we don’t ever get, that changes the game. Obviously, if that would’ve been them, they probably would’ve called it, but that’s just part of the game and part of the rivalry.”
He went on.
“I always feel like there are some questionable calls in big moments. Obviously, there were a few today that I thought could have gone differently. I thought the one to Ze (Ze’Vian Capers) there at the end of the half, that was just kind of one of those judgment calls that was tough. It’s hard to make a play on the ball when they’re that aggressive. So, I guess the officials were letting us play today. We should’ve been more aggressive on our end, I guess, and seen how they would’ve responded to that.”
Now THAT is rich. Auburn not getting calls. Half of their wins over the last couple of years have come benefit of the officials. There are too many to list here today but feel free to add your “favorites” to comments.
Under a new rule this season after two overtimes, teams get the ball at the three-yard line and have one play to convert a 2-pointer. No touchdowns and 2-pointers, just the 2-points. These attempts go on until a team scores and stops the opponent. On Saturday, FBS saw its first fourth overtime in which Texas State defeated South Alabama 33-31. It was only the second game to last past two OTs. The other saw San Diego State top Utah by an identical score in three overtimes.
STATS OF THE WEEK
- Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry had three catches for three touchdowns of 46, 69, and 22 yards. Other than that, the Syracuse secondary was fine.
- Ole Miss and Arkansas combined for 1,287 yards of total offense. That amount equates to 0.73 miles.
- Southern Cal is 2-0 on the road but 1-3 at home.
- Iowa has 20 takeaways halfway through the season. In the last full season of 2019, 83 teams didn’t have 20 in the entire season. The Hawkeyes turnover margin for this season is +15.
- Well, Maryland (4-2) has certainly turned into a poor investment. They were routed for the second straight week and haven’t even played Penn State, Mich or Sparty yet. Sorry, REJECTED
- Tulane (1-5) - The Green Wave lost a fourth straight. EJECTED
- Arkansas State (1-5) - Winless against FBS foes this year. Maybe next year Butch Jones. DEJECTED
- Maybe we should latch onto UTSA? They are 6-0 with wins at Illinois and Memphis. Just seven years ago, head coach Jeff Traylor was coaching high school ball. They should cook Rice on Saturday.
- UCLA (4-2) - The Bruins beat winless Arizona 34-16. At Washington.
- UT-Martin (4-1) - The Skyhawks dumped Murray State 48-24. UTM moves up ten spots to #17 in the FCS rankings. Now a trip to Eastern Illinois.
- Troy (3-3) - A 24-yard field goal with 1:46 left propelled the Trojans to victory over Georgia Southern 27-24. Next, it’s off to Texas State.
- South Alabama (3-2) - The Jags suffered a heartbreaking loss to Texas State in the fourth overtime, 33-31. USA hopes to rebound as they host Georgia Southern on Thursday.
THAT ANNOYING GUY WHO JUST SUCKS
- UAB (4-2) - The Dragons handled FAU 31-14. A fifth win is forthcoming at Southern Miss.
SALUTE TO OUR TROOPS
#Refunds get pushed back another week.
- Army (4-1) - The Black Knights had a week off to prep for a game at Wisconsin.
- Navy (1-4) - The Midshipmen played #24 SMU tight throughout the game but came short by one score 31-24. They now head to Memphis.
- Air Force (5-1) - The Falcons broke 14-14 tie at the half for a 24-14 Mountain West win against Wyoming. It doesn’t get easier with a trip to Boise.
COMMANDER-IN-CHUMPS TROPHY SCHEDULE
This started as a joke, but I’m beginning to think USA could take this thing.
9/2/21 Tennessee 38 Bowling Green 6
9/11/21 South Alabama 22 Bowling Green 19
11/20/21 South Alabama at Tennessee - Championship!
ELIMINATED FROM PLAYOFF CONTENTION
Premature elimination: Wake Forest soon...
Definite elimination: Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, FSU, NC State, Syracuse, Clemson, UNC, Virginia, Pitt, Boston College, Miami, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, TCU, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, Minnie, Wisky, Purdue, Maryland, Cal, Oregon State, Arizona, Stanford, Colorado, Southern Cal, Utah, UCLA, Washington State, Washington, Mizzou, Vandy, Tennessee, South Carolina, Missy State, LSU, Texas A&M. NEW: Texas, Virginia Tech, BYU, Arky, Auburn, Florida,
Endangered: Ohio State, Arizona State, Baylor, Oregon, Ole Miss, Notre Dame NEW: Alabama, Penn State
Premature endangered: Michigan State, Iowa, Oklahoma
way WAY WAY too early look at the College Football Playoff (CFP) picture:
- ACC - We all know Wake Forest (6-0) isn’t running the table. Right? right...?
- Big 12 - Oklahoma escapes AGAIN. Okie Lite is a five-point underdog at Texas this Saturday.
- Big Ten - Iowa knocked off Penn State but they only BARELY won at home because PSU lost QB Sean Clifford. anOSU, Michigan, and Michigan State are still alive. The round-robin of death begins in a few weeks.
- PAC-12 - Oregon didn’t play this week. They still need a lot of help to get back in the CFP chase, especially with Stanford getting back to their losing ways.
- SEC - UGA stands alone as “elite”. They host UK this weekend. A road loss on a last second field goal still keeps Bama in the hunt as long as they keep winning (this isn’t like Ohio State losing to Purdue 48-20 in 2018; it was a 3-point loss at the buzzer). Ole Miss could have a minuscule outside shot.
- Indies - BYU losing at home to a meh Boise team (3-3) was devastating.
- Non-Power 5 - Cincinnati beat up on Temple. Whoop-dee-doo.
RANK ‘EM IF YOU GOT ‘EM
Both the AP and Coaches polls only dropped Alabama to #5. Kentucky (#11) and Ole Miss (#13) made big jumps in the AP. Other SEC teams include #17 Arkansas (4-2), #20 Florida , and #21 Texas A&M. Auburn had the most votes of an unranked team.
- Georgia (6-0) SEC
- Iowa (6-0) Big Ten
- Cincinnati (5-0) AAC
- Oklahoma (6-0) Big 12
- Alabama (5-1) SEC
- Ohio State (5-1) Big Ten
- Penn State (5-1) Big Ten
- Michigan (6-0) Big Ten
- Oregon (4-1) Pac-12
- Michigan State (6-0) Big Ten
Alabama ranked #5:
It doesn’t really matter. The only rankings that count are those from the CFP Committee. The first CFP rankings drop in less than a month on Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2021.
LET’S GO BOWLING!
- With six wins each, the following teams are now eligible to play in one of the hundreds of bowl parties thrown this winter: Wake, SMU, UTSA, Okie, Sparty, Michigan, Iowa, Coastal Carolina, Kentucky, and UGA.
- 14 teams are one win away from six.
LET’S GO BLOWING!
- Congratulations to UConn for becoming the first team eliminated from bowl contention. The Huskies are the only team in FBS with an 0-7 record. Well, at least they have the women’s bouncey-ball. Enjoy that.
- New Mexico State, who Bama fans get the distinct pleasure of their company in November, is one defeat away from bowl elimination.
- The only other winless teams are UNLV (0-5) and Arizona (0-5)
Krazy Kristi’s “SHUT UP!” of the Week goes to Lane Kiffin. Last week, it was popcorn and the headset drop. This week, the Ole Miss coach again threw his play card up in the air knowing that ESPN would replay it ad nauseam. At the end of the game, he brought his hands to his face in a praying pose and looked like he was peeking to the side to see in cameras where on him. The internet world doesn’t have a good “sports praying gif”, does it? Kiffin is so concerned about being a meme that he does not seem to want to strive for greatness on the field. We all know he idolizes Nick Saban and wants to be him when he grows up. Saban has so many famous “moments” but they come naturally. Kiffin seems to be forcing them.
Most years, the Heisman Trophy voting is basically a hype award. Often times voters fall in love with someone and refuse to REALLY look at what a player has accomplished. Of course there are exceptions.
WHO WILL WIN
CLARIFICATION: This section is not who deserves to win. It is who the slobbering press and other voters will callously crush on.
- QB Bryce Young (Soph, Alabama) 28-48, 369 YDS, 3 TD, 1 INT - Young was not great. You can rightfully blame the offensive line and several dropped passes, but when his team needed him on the final drive, he had two poorly thrown passes that resulted in a three-and-out. A comeback drive for the win would have certainly propelled him into the stratosphere.
- QB Desmond Ridder (Sr, Cincinnati) 22-30, 259 YDS, 3 TD - Good but not great stats in a home win against a team who had lost to Rutgers 61-14. The real story of this game was former Alabama running back Jerome Ford who ran for a career-high 149 yards and two scores. But shhhhh! Don’t tell anyone!
- QB CJ Stroud (Soph, anOSU) 24-33, 406 YDS, 5 TD - This is how to win a Hypesman. Screw around for the first four games and then wake up and start slinging it in October.
- QB Kenny Pickett (Super-Sr, Pitt) DNP - Remember back in 2017 when Mark Richt’s Miami was 10-0 and headed for glory? Pitt, who was 4-7 at the time, upset the ‘Canes and sent them on their downward spiral. Pickett was the starting quarterback. That is how long this dude has been around. He has some right purty stats this year but the competition has not been great (UMass, Tenn, WMU, N.Hampshire, GaT). And let’s face it: He plays for Pitt (if you mention Dan Marino in comments, you are banned. This is 2021).
FADING BUT NOT OUT
- QB Matt Corral (RS-Jr, Ole Miss) 14-21, 287 YDS, 2 TD, 15 RUSH, 94 YDS, 2 TD - Being shut down by Bama still stings. He’s got some catching up to do.
Spencer Rattlers Heisman bettors rn pic.twitter.com/ET8RAERHkE— Barstool Pokes (@BarstoolOKST) October 9, 2021
- QB Spencer Rattler (RS-Soph, Oklahoma) 8-15, 111 YDS, 0 TD, 1 INT, LOST FUMBLE - The preseason Golden Boy was benched and his team got better because of it.
TOKEN RUNNING BACK WHO WON’T WIN
- Kenneth Walker (Jr, Michigan State) 29 CAR, 232 YDS, 1 TD, 1 REC, 13 YDS - Sparty ain’t played no one, PAAAWWWLLL
- Bijan Robinson (Soph, Texas) 20 CAR, 137 YDS, 1 TD, 1 REC 2 YDS - Nice total numbers but he disappeared in the second half, gaining SIX yards on his final eight carries.
- TreVeyon Henderson (Fr, anOSU) 16 CAR, 102 YDS, 2 TD, 4 REC, 67 YDS, 1 TD against a godwaful Maryland defense.
WHO SHOULD WIN
CLARIFICATION: This section IS for who deserves to win it.
THE SICK REPORT
You think your team has running back issues? It’s a galdarn epidemic.
- Former Alabama and current Texas Tech running back Chadarius Townsend is out for the season with a broken scapula. He has rushed for 65 yards on 10 carries and totaled 216 yards on kick returns this season.
- Oregon’s leading rusher CJ Verdell (406 yds, 6 TD) and starting safety Bennett Williams will both miss the remainder of the season with leg injuries. Williams broke his leg during Oregon’s walk-through practice last Friday. How in the heck do you do that??? He has three interceptions, returning one for a touchdown, and 20 tackles this season.
- After losing star back Mohamed Ibrahim to a ruptured Achilles tendon in the team’s season-opening loss to Ohio State, Minnesota has now lost running back Trey Potts after an undisclosed ailment arose late in the team’s game at Purdue and put him in the hospital. He is out for the season.
- LSU star WR Kayshon “Shake Your” Boutte left the UK game on a cart and is done for the year. The sophomore leads the nation with 9 receiving touchdowns on the season.
- Baton Rouge is beginning to resemble a M*A*S*H unit as the Bayou Bengals will also be without starters SS Major Burns, DE Ali Gaye, and DT Joseph Evans, as well as Stingley, DE Andre Anthony, S Todd Harris, S Sage Ryan, and RB John Emery who have previously been out. Either LSU has some S&C issues or some of these guys are in quit mode. Or both.
- Kentucky will be without DL Octavious Oxendine (out for the season) and NT Marquan McCall versus Georgia. Second-leading receiver WR Josh Ali doubtful.
- Miami Hurricanes quarterback D’Eriq King will have season-ending shoulder surgery. Shoulda moved to WR...
- Missouri CB Ennis Rakestraw is out indefinitely after tearing his ACL in practice last Tuesday. As a recruit, he was offered by Alabama but ultimately chose the Tigers over the Tide for immediate playing time.
- Maryland lost leading receiver Dontay Demus for rest of season due to a knee injury.
- Drama Queen of the Week: Well, well well. What a shocker. LSU cornerback Derek Stingley “underwent a procedure on his injured left foot” last week. DeVonta’s son was quoted as saying “I will do everything I can to get healthy so that I will be able to play again this year.” Bull poop. Just as predicted, bro has peaced out.
- Wisconsin redshirt freshman running back Jalen Berger has been dismissed from the football program. The school did not specify a reason for the dismissal. Sources have said he wasn’t dismissed for any off-field issues, which leads to believe he was whining about playing time or the like.
- For rushing the field after beating Alabama, the creepy fake army cult got fined $100,000 by the SEC. One TAMU fan was seen taken off the field on a stretcher afterwards. This is why the conference frowns on this kind of celebration. It looks like fun, but can be dangerous. It is the Aggies’ second offense after a 2018 overtime win over LSU.
- According to the SEC, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Mississippi State are the only member schools to not be fined for rushing the field. Auburn has been fined three times. They really are Clemson without a lake. Sad.
- It is panic time for the non-Power 5s. The C-USA, AAC, and Sun Belt are proposing to regionalize their conferences in attempt to slow realignment and keep the AAC from picking off their member schools. They also intend to convince the AAC into joining the regionalization concept. Good luck with that!
Is Orgeron basically Chizik? Dude caught lightning in a bottle and a dumpster fire now. pic.twitter.com/wjVH7H0Sd2— Kevin Bradley (@augradbamafan) September 5, 2021
- In his post-game presser, LSU coach Ed Orgeron said he was surprised by the Wildcats’ ground game. UK’s Chris Rodriguez is fifth in the nation in rushing for Pete’s sake. Did O watch film of Western Kentucky this past week by mistake? Since lifting the Big Beer Tap trophy back in January 2020, Cajun Chizik is 8-8 overall and 6-7 in the SEC.
- Tepid Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz fired his defensive line coach/scapegoat Jethro Franklin before last weekend’s games. The Tigers still gave up 35 points to 1-4 North Texas. For his part, Franklin resisted jumping in the cee-ment pond.
- The funny thing about TAMU beating Bama is that it gave Jimbo Fisher a respite from the villagers with torches and pitchforks for awhile. A week ago, they wanted his head on a platter. Now it’s all “Let’s give him another extension! Jimbo 4evah!”
- Seriously, would you follow this POS into war? Urban Meyer apologized for his actions last weekend. The main problem was that he left all his rugs to sweep these kind of problems under back in Columbus.
- Fat F*** Phillip Fulmer thinks Salieri is the hero of the movie Amadeus.
Contractually, CBS can choose to air a specific SEC team a maximum of five times (the conference championship game is not included in that number). Alabama has been on three times thus far. Hopefully, Gary and CBS will give all their attention to UGA for a little while.
From 1996 through this past weekend, an Alabama game has been aired on CBS 115 times. Florida is second at 106. UGA 79, LSU 78, Tennessee 68, Auburn 53.
(Below is an abbreviated list of highlighted games of interest. If you REALLY need to know about the big Akron-Miami (OH) showdown, you can find the details here.)
Tuesday, October 12
Appy State at ULL 6:30/7:30 ESPN - What? No MAC teams on Tuesday this year?
Thursday, October 14
Navy at Memphis 6:30/7:30 ESPN
Georgia Southern at South Alabama 6:30/7:30 ESPNU - Big game for the Jags.
Friday, October 15
Marshall at North Texas 6pm/7pm CBSSN
Clemson at Syracuse 6pm/7pm ESPN - Too much orange.
Cal at Oregon 9:30/10:30 ESPN
Stay Classy San Diego State at San Jose Can UC State 9:30/10:30 CBSSN
Saturday, October 16
GAMES OF THE WEEK
* Kentucky at Georgia 2:30/3:30 CBS - Whoda thunk this would be a key game. But really, UK will harshly be brought back down to Earth.
Auburn at Arkansas 11am/noon CBS - Who will bounce back best?
Florida at LSU 11am/noon ESPN - Are the Bayou Bengals is Quit Mode?
Texas A&M at Missouri 11am/noon SECN - Letdown game? Prolly not. TAMU is lucky they play this awful team.
Vanderbilt at South Carolina 3pm/4pm ESPN - Are you sure we can’t send these two to the B12?
Ole Miss at Tennessee 6:30/7:30 SECN - Expect big scores.
OTHERS ON SATURDAY
UCF at Cincinnati 12:00 PM ABC - The one year we need Central Florida to be worth a crap...
Oklahoma State at Texas 12:00 PM FOX - If the Longhorns aren’t feeling sorry for themselves, they could end Okie Lite’s season.
TCU at Oklahoma 7:30 PM ABC - Maybe Frogs? Prolly not.
GOODNIGHT SWEETHEART, WELL IT’S TIME TO GO, DU-DU-DU-DU-DUUUU...
Arizona State at Utah 9pm/10pm ESPN - The Two Utes could end ASU’s scant playoff hopes.
Hawaii at Nevada 9:30/10:30 CBSSN - Pineapples & Poker Chips
The other side of this:— Ryan Brown (@RyanBrownLive) October 11, 2021
The last three West coaches to beat Saban are now at Liberty, UCF and about to get fired.
So, there's that too. https://t.co/mmp8Ya7cby
SABAN vs. MACK, POP & BEAR
- Mack Brown continues to slog through his underwhelming second go-around in Chapel Hill. The Heels stand at 3-3 and they still have Notre Dame, Wake, Pitt and NC State to play. He is 70 years old in Year 3 with Sam Howell likely off to the NFL after the season. Despite the Alabama loss, there is not much reason to think Mack can catch up with Nick Saban in career FBS/I-A wins at 256, Saban: 266, Bear: 323, Pop: 319. It might be time for Carolina to get the search committee band back together.
- The Crimson Tide still has one streak alive. They have scored 30+ points in 32 straight games - the longest streak in FBS/D-I.
I forget some people were too young to remember all the different Mike years Lol https://t.co/FLnyH0goZp— ❂ (@Ro11Julk) October 10, 2021
- In case you missed it, Alabama played TAMU without LB Drew Sanders due to a hand injury that required surgery. There has been no word on when he will be back. Sanders was sorely missed against the Aggies.
- LB Jaylen Moody is healthy and ready to play.
- The last time Alabama lost to Texas A&M (2012), the Crimson Tide went on to win the national title that same season. It has no bearing on this season but ya never know...
- TSIO: Alabama vs Tennessee will air on ESPN at 6 pm CT.
GAME 7: Saturday, October 16, 2021
Alabama Crimson Tide (5-1) at Mississippi State Bulldogs (3-2)
Starkville, MS ~ 6pm CT/7pm ET, ESPN
- Weather in StarkVegas on Saturday is calling for partly cloudy skies and a high of 70° during the day but dipping down to 48° at night. Fall is definitely here. Expect 100% chance of annoying cowbells that make up for fans too lazy to yell and clap.
- Former Bama OL Scott Lashley is a starter for Mississippi State.
- Announcers: Joe Tessitore and Greg McElroy with Katie George twirling her blonde locks on the sideline.
- Eli Gold on Alabama Radio.
- The Crimson Tide have a 85-17-3 edge over Clanga-clang all-time. The last Bullies coach to defeat Alabama was Sylvester Croom in 2007. That is more than Dan Mullen can say.
- The line on this game is around Bama -17. Over/Under is 57½.
24 hour rule.