Matt Zenitz of al.com reports that the Minnesota Vikings are expected to hire Alabama cornerbacks coach Karl Scott as defensive backs coach. In the industry, the move is considered a promotion. The opening arose when Daronte Jones left the Vikes to become the defensive coordinator at LSU.
Scott joined the Crimson Tide before the 2018 season after two seasons as the secondary coach at Texas Tech.
He is the fifth Tide assistant to bolt after the National Championship Game win in January. Steve Sarkisian, Jeff Banks, and Kyle Flood all fled for Texas while Charles Huff took the head spot at Marshall. Keep track of the comings and goings of the Crimson Tide here.
A few possible candidates as a replacement, in alphabetical order:
- Aazaar Abdul-Rahim — Boston College DB coach/defensive pass game coordinator, former Alabama analyst (2014-2015)
- Derrick Ansley — Former Alabama assistant (2016–2017) just landed a job as the Los Angeles Chargers defensive backs coach, so probably a longshot.
- Doug Belk — Houston Cougars defensive coordinator/safeties coach, former Alabama Graduate Assistant/Cornerbacks (2014-2016)
- Terrell Buckley — Ole Miss cornerbacks coach, 14-year NFL veteran, coaching since 2007
- Jason Jones — Indiana safeties coach, Bama graduate and grad assistant (2003-2004)
- Jules Montinar — Florida cornerbacks coach, graduate assistant at Alabama (2012-2013)
- Sam Petitto — Alabama director of personnel operations, Jeremy Pruitt protege
- Deshea Townsend — Chicago Bears secondary coach, former Bama and Steelers star, coaching since 2011
- Marcus Woodson — Florida State DB coach/defensive passing game coordinator, Ole Miss grad and Mississippi native, previously coached at Auburn among other stops
A note on Jeremy Pruitt: After all the chaos he went through at Knoxville plus potential forthcoming litigation from his corner against UT, it would not be surprising to see him take a year sabbatical from coaching.