Back in March, Crimson Tide softball had their worst weekend of the season losing two of three to Kentucky. This served as a wake up call to Patrick Murphy and his team.
This RBR writer and many of you commenters declared that changes were needed. Some of the rainbow chasers were not happy with our thoughts. Fortunately, we were right.
Alabama has a chance at redemption bigger than their 5-1 SEC Tournament win over UK. The Tide hosts the 14-seed Wildcats for a best-of-three at the Rhoads House.
- March 27 - Bama 11, UK 6 - Home runs for Bailey Hemphill and Kaylee Tow off second line pitchers; Montana Fouts gave up 6 runs, 9 K.
- March 28 - UK 4, Bama 2 - 4 UA errors by 4 players; Lexi Kilfoyl took the loss; Autumn Humes complete game win.
- March 29 - UK 5, Bama 4 - 3 Kentucky home runs off Fouts and Kilfoyl, only 4 combined Ks; Humes wins in relief.
- May 13 (SECT) - Bama 5, UK 1 - 2 Hemphill homers; Fouts complete game, 15 Ks; Humes loses.
The Wildcats were living dangerously in the Lexington Regional. They were the only team to advance after playing five games.
- May 21 - Northwestern W, 3-2 - Humes 7.0 innings
- May 22 - Notre Dame L, 3-12 (5 innings) - 12 hits surrendered by Humes and Stoddard. Because the lost this one, they had to go to the loser’s bracket and then beat undefeated ND twice.
- MAY 22 - Northwestern W, 7-2 - (loser’s bracket) - Baalman 4.0, Humnes 3.0
- MAY 23 - Notre Dame W, 7-0 - Humes 7.0 innings; home runs for Spangler and Abernathy.
- MAY 23 - Notre Dame W, 4-0 - Baalman 6.1, Hume 0.2; Humes home run.
Despite the inflated ERA, Autumn Humes (22-8, 2.90 ERA) is still a dangerous pitcher and she can go a good deal of innings if needed. The ERAs of Miranda Stoddard (4.08) and Grace Baalman (also 4.08) have really ballooned since the March series with the Tide.
UK continues to try an d outscore everyone and swings for the fences. Kayla Kowalik leads several offensive category for UK. She is hitting a robust .497 with 77 runs, 12 HR, and 37 RBI. Erin Coffel has a .343 with 16 round-trippers and 56 batters knocked in.
In a second half surge, Renee Abernathy is up to .358 with 11 dingers and 46 RBIs. Mallory Peyton has good stats (.308 batting average with 12 HR and 50 knocked in) but has cooled off as of late.
Montana Fouts has been a machine through May. She had 28 strikeouts with only two walks in 14.0 IP while allowing seven total hits and in one game tied a career-high 15 Ks. Lexi Kilfoyl might be getting back to normal but we’ll have to see what she can do
The Bama bats have been heating up led by red hot Bailey Hemphill. Kaylee Tow and Jenna Johnson have been getting bit hits and even some power from the most unlikely source of Taylor Clark. They will need to stay hot in order to still be playing in June.
Let’s pack Rhoads Stadium and be in Big Blue’s ears!
- Friday, May 28, vs Kentucky 12 pm CT - ESPN2
- Saturday, May 29 vs Kentucky 1 pm CT - ESPN2
- Sunday, May 30 vs Kentucky 3 pm (if necessary) ESPNU