As the 2022 college football season comes to an end, the annual personnel carousel roars to life. Alabama loses several familiar faces but they just reload. Below is a breakdown of how the roster looks at the moment. We will add updates throughout the year leading up to Spring practice.
PLAYING IN SENIOR BOWL
Players who have already announced their participation in the Senior Bowl (Feb. 4) have played at least four years of college football. In order to continue their college career, they would need an NCAA waiver, medical redshirt, or their college coach would have to agree to bring them back for a bonus super-senior season. In a sense, these young men have basically called an end to their college playing days by participating in this bowl. We did see PK Will Reichard pull out of the game and opt in for another year at the Capstone, but that is not expected of any others.
The following Tide players still intend to move forward with plans to play in the Senior Bowl.
- DB Jordan Battle - declared for NFL on social media
- DB DeMarcco Hellams - declared for NFL on social media
- DL DJ Dale - declared for NFL on social media
- DL Byron Young - declared for NFL on social media
- LB Henry To’oTo’o - declared, has an agent
- OL Emil Ekiyor
- OL Tyler Steen
- TE Cameron Latu
JUNIORS DECLARED FOR NFL DRAFT
The deadline for players to announce their intentions of entering the 2023 NFL Draft is January 16.
- EDGE Will Anderson
- QB Bryce Young
- DB Brian Branch
- RB Jahmyr Gibbs
- CB Eli Ricks
The below have already entered the Transfer Portal and in almost all cases have found a new home.
- WR Aaron Anderson > LSU
- WR Christian Leary > UCF
- OL Amari Kight > UCF
- WR JoJo Earle > TCU
- OL Tommy Brockermeyer > TCU
- WR Traeshon Holden > Oregon
- DB Khyree Jackson > Oregon
- OL Javion Cohen > Miami
- OL Tanner Bowles > Kentucky
- RB Trey Sanders > TCU
- OL Damieon George > Undecided, potentially Auburn, Ole Miss
OUT OF ELIGIBILITY
These two Tide players have played out five full years that included the bonus super senior season. There is zero chance of them finding another season at the Capstone.
- LB Jaylen Moody
- OL Kendall Randolph
4TH YEAR PLAYER NOT EXPECTED BACK
- OL Darrian Dalcourt has played four full years but has a bonus super senior season left. It would be a bit of a surprise if Nick Saban used one of 85 precious scholarships on a occasional starter/back-up OL. But then again, who foresaw Kendall Randolph or Chris Owens coming back?
POSSIBLE SUPER SENIOR
- WR Tyler Harrell has played in four full seasons (five games this season) in addition to a redshirt year used at Louisville. He would be best served playing one more season of college ball somewhere. The real question is whether the Tide staff believe he is healed enough to be a major contributor next season.
- DL Justin Eboigbe played in four games in 2022 before a neck injury caused him to miss the rest of the season. This past campaign could be considered a redshirt year since he never took one. Depending on how he heals, he should be back for a fifth year and also have a super senior year remaining if needed. Another option is taking a chance on this spring’s NFL Draft. A final option is retiring from football. It is publicly unknown how severe the injury is and it has been awful quiet out of his camp.
The transfer portal window closes in less than two weeks on January 18, meaning the time for decisions is almost up. The below are all third-year players who have not played much outside of special teams. Some of them may wait until after A-Day (April 22) to decide. The possibility of their departures from the team are based on pure speculation:
- WR Thaiu Jones-Bell - buried in the depth chart behind younger players.
- LB Quandarrius Robinson - mostly special teams.
- LB Demouy Kennedy - top contributor on special teams before sidelined to a knee injury.
- DB Jahquez Robinson - limited playing time in three years.
While special teams players are important, they can often easily be replaced with the next class of freshmen the Tide has coming in.
With starting players transferring out all across the nation, Alabama has the fortune of not losing anyone of too much value*. It is so confusing as to what class these guys are. Thus, they are divided up by years in college.
* IMHO, Javion Cohen’s departure is not such a bad thing.
ONE YEAR ON CAMPUS
- DB Antonio Kite
- DB Earl Little Jr.
- DB Jake Pope
- DB Tre’Quon Fegans
- DL Jaheim Oatis
- DL Khurtiss Perry
- DL Isaiah Hastings
- LB Jihaad Campbell
- LB Jeremiah Alexander
- LB Shawn Murphy
- OL Tyler Booker
- OL Elijah Pritchett
- QB Ty Simpson
- RB Jamarion Miller
- TE Amari Niblack
- TE Elijah Brown
- TE Danny Lewis
- WR Isaiah Bond
- WR Kendrick Law
- WR Kobe Prentice
- WR/RB Emmanuel Henderson
- WR Shazz Preston
TWO YEARS OF COLLEGE
23. DB Terrion Arnold
24. DB Kool-Aid McKinstry
25. DB DeVonta Smith
26. DL Damon Payne
27. DL Anquin Barnes
28. DL Monkell Goodwine
29. DL Tim Keenan
30. LB Keanu Koht
31. LB Deontae Lawson
32. LB Ian Jackson
33. LB Dallas Turner
34. LB Kendrick Blackshire
35. OL James Brockermeyer
36. OL Terrence Ferguson
37. OL Jaeden Roberts
38. OL JC Latham
39. QB Jalen Milroe
40. TE Robbie Ouzts
41. TE Miles Kitselman**
42. WR Ja’Corey Brooks
THREE YEARS OF COLLEGE
43. DB Jahquez Robinson
44. DB Kristian Story
45. DB Malachi Moore
46. DL Jah-Marien Latham
47. DL Jamil Burroughs
48. DL Tim Smith
49. LB Chris Braswell
50. LB Quandarrius Robinson
51. LB Demouy Kennedy
52. OL Seth McLaughlin
53. P James Burnip**
54. RB Jase McClellan
55. RB Roydell Williams
56. WR Jermaine Burton
57. WR Thaiu Jones-Bell
** On scholarship or walk-on?
58. TE CJ Dipree (Maryland)
CLASS OF 2023
All but four of the 2023 signees are Early Enrollees:
59. DB Desmond Ricks
60. DB Caleb Downs
61. DB Jahlil Hurley
62. DB Tony Mitchell
63. DE Keon Keeley (summer enrollee)
64. DE Jaquavious Russaw
65. DE Yhonzae Pierre (summer enrollee)
66. DE Jordan Renaud
67. DE Hunter Osborne
68. DT James Smith
69. DT Edric Hill
70. K Conor Talty (summer enrollee)
71. LB Justin Jefferson
72. OL Kadyn Proctor
73. OL Miles McVay
74. OL Wilkin Formby
75. OL Olaus Alinen
76. OL Ryqueze McElderry
77. QB Eli Holstein
78. QB Dylan Lonergan
79. RB Justice Haynes
81. TE Ty Lockwood
82. WR Jalen Hale
83. WR Malik Benson
84. WR Cole Adams
85. WR Jaren Hamilton
86. ATH Brayson Hubbard
Despite all the speculation, only safeties coach Charles Kelly has left the Alabama coaching staff. And a hat tip to him for sticking with the Tide through bowl season and even recruiting for Alabama up until the Early Signing Period. No replacement has been named as of yet.
Rumors still abound for Crimson Tide OC Bill O’Brien as well as DC Peter Golding. But rumors are all they are until NFL Black Monday drops January 9 - the first day after the regular season ends in which several NFL coaches typically get fired.
We will continue to update this post as different moves occur. Check back for ongoing developments.
DATES OF NOTE:
- JAN 11: First day of classes at Alabama.
- JAN 16: Deadline for players to announce their intentions of entering the draft.
- JAN 18: Transfer portal window closes.
- FEB 1: National Signing Day (aka Left Behind Day)
- APR 22: Alabama A-Day.
- MAY 1: Transfer portal window opens for a 15-day period, May 1-15.
- JAN 8 UPDATE: Christian Leary flipped his transfer decision to Georgia Tech.
- JAN 10 UPDATE: Eboigbe tweets “Back”. Read into that what you may.
- JAN 13 UPDATE: Several media outlets have expressed that Pete Golding is heading to Ole Miss as DC.
- JAN 13 UPDATE: Nicole Lynn is a sports agent to be reckoned with. She has has signed three more Tide players in Will Anderson, Brian Branch and Byron Young. She also personally reps All-Pro Quinnen Williams who was drafted No. 3 overall in 2019, Jedrick Wills (#10 in 2020), Evan Neal (#7 in 2022), and Christian Barmore (#38 in 2021).
- JAN 13 UPDATE: Southern Miss DC Austin Armstrong will join the Tide staff as an assistant, likely taking over Charles Kelly’s spot.
- JAN 13 UPDATE: Pete Golding had been hired as the new Defensive Coordinator for Ole Miss.
- JAN 14 UPDATE: Wide receiver Tyler Harrell has entered the transfer portal.
- JAN 16 UPDATE: OL Damieon George is headed to Florida.
- JAN 17 UPDATE: LB Demouy Kennedy has entered the TP. The deadline for players to declare for the draft has elapsed.
- JAN 19 UPDATE: LB Trezmen Marshall transfers from UGA to Bama.
- FEB 1 UPDATE: Kennedy joins the Deion Circus at Colorado.
- FEB 3 UPDATE: Tommy Rees is hired as offensive coordinator.
- FEB 5 UPDATE: Kevin Steele is hired as offensive coordinator.
- FEB 14 UPDATE: rolltide dot com has updated their football roster to include all newcomers and returning players. Among them are DL Justin Eboigbe and OL Darrian Dalcourt. Redshirt Senior Eboigbe had played three full seasons and was injured in the fourth game of last season, his fourth. He was able to use that campaign as a redshirt. Dalcourt is listed as a Graduate Student. He has played four full seasons. If he is still on the roster post-spring, it will be a bonus super-senior season. By my count, that puts Bama at 87 - if James Burnip is on scholarship.
- FEB 14 UPDATE: Alabama added 26-year old walk-on TE Coby McNeal, who is a former active Marine from Dothan. He served six years before walking on at Colorado State last year.
- FEB 15 UPDATE: Former NFL head coach Ken Whisenhunt joins the Alabama staff in an off-field role. He was head coach of the Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans, was an analyst at Penn State the last two years.
- FEB 15 UPDATE: Former Tide players HaHa Clinton-Dix and Josh Chapman are both listed as director of player development.
- FEB 22 UPDATE: After a little more than a month on the job, Austin Armstrong has left to become the DC at Florida. Ask Dan Enos how job-jumping works out.
- FEB 25 UPDATE: Liberty LB analyst Robert Bala is expected to join the staff to replace Armstrong. Prior to his time at Liberty, Bala spent four seasons at Southern Utah where he eventually became DC.
Roster Update: It appears Caleb Downs, Justice Haynes, Kadyn Proctor, and James Smith have been assigned jersey numbers. https://t.co/K8mZSGFUTo— CB969 (@CB969onRBR) February 25, 2023
- FEB 25 UPDATE: DL Jaheim Oatis tweets that he is down to 316 pounds - 101 lbs less than he was “just a bit over a year ago.”
- MAR 1 UPDATE: Sal Sunseri leaves his post as Sr. Special Assistant to the Head Coach to join the Colorado Circus as defensive tackles coach.
- MAR 1 UPDATE: Former Texas and Louisville head coach Charlie Strong joins the staff as a linebacker analyst.
- MAR 7 UPDATE: New player weights have been posted. Brent has insights.
- MAR 18 UPDATE: Freshman Tony Mitchell was arrested on drug charges Wednesday in Florida. The 4-star defensive back was pulled over by police and later charged with possession of marijuana, along with the intent to sell and/or deliver. His passenger faces the same charges and was additionally charged with “carrying a concealed firearm without a permit”. As of this date, he is still on the Alabama roster.
- MAR 20 UPDATE: New number assignments for freshmen and transfers are up on the rolltide.com roster. Among them are Caleb Downs (2), Justice Haynes (22), CJ Dippre (81), Jaren Hamilton (16), Dezz Ricks (29) and James Smith (47). If you bought a Mark Ingram jersey in 2009, it was a good investment. (MI2, King Henry, Najee, Haynes)
- MAR 20 UPDATE: Saban stated that “Tony Mitchell is suspended from the team and all team activities until we gather more information about the situation and what his legal circumstance is.”
- APR 17 UPDATE: TE Elijah Brown is in the transfer portal.
- APR 18 UPDATE: DB Jahquez Robinson is in the transfer portal.
- APR 19 UPDATE: DB Tre’Quon Fegans is in the transfer portal.
- APR 27 UPDATE: Notre Dame Tyler Buchner commits to transfer to Alabama for some reason.ULL DB Trey Amos
- APR 29 UPDATE: DB Jahquez Robinson is transferring to Deion’s Magical World of Illusions & Delusions in Colorado.
- MAY 7 UPDATE: Fegans commits to Southern Cal.
- MAY 9 UPDATE: ULL DB Trey Amos commits to transfer to Alabama.
- MAY 12 UPDATE: UAB safety Jaylen Key commits to transfer to Alabama.
- MAY 15 UPDATE: TE Elijah Brown commits to Florida Atlantic.