Goodness, gracious. What a hellacious week for College Football. There are six matchups of Top 25 vs. Top 25, including:
- The long-anticipated fraud check between Top 10s — Notre Dame hosting Ohio State under the welcoming arms of Touchdown Jesus in South Bend
- No. 15 Ole Miss faces No. 14 Alabama in what I like to think is a matchup between the GOAT and the HCIW. Seriously, Lane, you’re never getting a better shot than this week. This is the most mortal Alabama team we’ve seen since 2007.
- An improbably ranked Colorado team leaves Boulder, and their first game against someone who punches like a Top 25 (no, TCU, you don’t count)? A roadie to face the Ducks in Eugene at Autzen. (FWIW, oddsmakers think the Buffs get ran out of the building. But, at least for the first quarter of the season, it was a cool, even if often divisive, story).
- The P12 overall takes center stage today, with three contests between ranked teams. The Unwanted Duopoly Bowl may be the best of the bunch too: Oregon State traveling to Pullman to face the Wazzu Cougars; and in what should be a defensive slobberknocker, No. 20 UCLA hits up SLC and No. 11 Utah.
- We would be remiss if we didn’t talk about No. 4 Florida State on the road to meet Dabo and the Swamp Barners in Death Valley. The ‘Noles looked downright putrid last week at BC, but were they looking ahead? Or is this team still not ready for primetime?
- If you love defense and sexy punting, do we have a primetime doozy for you: No. 24 Iowa under the lights at Beaver Stadium and the nasty defense of No. 7 Penn State — the White Out is simply amazing.
- Then there are some other interesting tilts too that could prove highly entertaining: UCF at Kansas State, Memphis at Mizzou, battle of the Cult when the Real Barners tussle with Aggie in College Station, how the Vawls rebound against a very dangerous UTSA team, and soooo many more.
These games are the reasons we love Saturdays.
Dig in, tell us what you’re watching today: